Welding to fill holes is keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAdamC

Reaction score
I bought a couple of kegs from the scrap yard a couple months ago, and just got around to getting an angle grinder today. (the flooding and boil order made it easy to convince my wife boiling 15 gallons was necessary)
When I cut the lid off the first keg, I was surprised to find a 1/2" or so hole right where the side meets the bottom. This sucks, as I was getting ready to do my first 10G batch.
I'm wondering why someone would do that, and if I could take it and just have it filled by a welder. Upon closer inspection, the second keg has the same hole. They drilled through one of the holes in the base, so it's right where the outer part meets the bottom of the keg, so It's hardly visible from outside.
Anyone ever fill a hole in a Keg, and still use it for boiling? Am I screwed, or is this fixable?

You're not screwed. It can be repaired.
It'll probably cost you a little to have a welder plug the holes.
I'd save the top of the keg so that whoever repairs it can use that top to cut some patches out to cover the holes. A 1/2" hole would be a PITA to fill with weld.
Just make sure you take it to a shop that specializes in TIG welding stainless.
You can end up with an ugly mess if the wrong person gets a hold of it.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad it can be repaired. Hopefully the local welding shop can do this mobile. They are at probably the worst point for flooding, which we have a bunch of right now. Thanks again. You just made my night.

I will as soon as I can. I killed my camera battery today taking flood pics. I need to just go to bed so I can get up and snap a pic and start calling welders.

I thought maybe I could just use it for a ball valve, but its right on the bottom corner, so it would be hard to seal w/out welding. In the place that it is it will be subjected to a lot of heat.

Mobile will probably cost you quite a bit more.
If you walked into a shop you should be able to get that done for less than $50.
Mobile services usually will cost you $75 and up per hour, with a one hour minimum.
I guess it all depends on the region. Some areas charge considerably more or less. I'd ask before you call them out.

Yeah, I'm just thinking this dude may want some work. His shop is flooded out. He is also a friend of my stepdad's, so we'll see. If you want to see what I mean, Google: "south duff flooding ames iowa" or something like that. His is the lowest point. I have an 8 gallon pot, so I can still brew. I was just looking forward to a 10g batch today, in the spirit of beer being safer than water. :D

Back gas is when you shield the opposite side of the weld area with Argon or some other inert gas. Thin walled stainless needs to be protected from both sides or it will oxidize.(turn black and "sugar")

I thought about this...A better alternative to cutting a patch may be a stainless fender washer.
If the hole is actually smaller than 1/2" I might consider filling it it with weld.
By the way I've been a welder for 20 years, so I guess you could say I'm qualified to give you some advise.

Thanks dmfa. I'm glad to have your advice. Hopefully I'll have 10G of wort fermenting soon. Why would a washer be better than a patch? Just wondering because SS fender washers are hard to find locally, and I'm hoping to get this up and running ASAP (w/out compromising quality, of course).

Well, cause it's already a "round" patch and the welder wouldn't have to cut a little piece out of a bigger piece. Just less work I guess.
I guess too it could be a regular stainless washer.
Fender washers just have smaller holes compared to their size. Just a smaller hole to fill once the washer is welded on.

So if I cut a piece out of the lid it would work just as well? I meant SS washers in general are hard to find around here. If it's just the work I'll cut a patch a bit bigger than the hole. Good plan, or not?

I would just make a patch instead of the washer same thickness and less welding. I do a little welding myself...Pat
img144121.jpg

How much time do you have in polishing your kegs?
And is it much work keeping them looking like that?
I started mine and decided after 220 grit it was too much work.
I don't have that much patience.
I have to say though, that yours look beautiful.

I didn't keep track of the time or I would have lost my mind, the kegs stay pretty shiney. This is after about 330 gallons brewed.
img1660j.jpg

Why not fill the hole with a coupling so you can add drains and whatnot? I'm pretty sure the scrapyard or seller is required to cut a hole to prove it isn't under pressure. It's dangerous for the workers to crush pressure vessels.

Edit, upon better reading comprehension, it sounds like the hole is drilled in the bottom bowl just under the skirt weld. You can still put your bulkhead drain there but you'd have to make a large hole in the skirt.

Would the bulkhead hold up to the heat? You are right about the hole, Bobby. Its right under the skirt. I'll be using an SQ14

Back