Welding stainless mesh... anyone done it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planker101

Reaction score
Tried a search for this, but closest I found was soldering it.

I am comfortable TIG welding stainless, but I can't imagine the mesh not just burning up instantly. I'd like to make myself a BIAB basket, but I don't want to spend the money on parts if I'm not going to be able to weld them together.

If you've done this and have any input please let me know. Thanks!

I've read they use a "seam welder" for welding mesh.

You can rivet the seams instead. The early "hop baskets" were riveted.

Why not simply use a voile bag? They're easier to squeeze and dunk sparge. ;)

I'm using a normal bag right now, works fine. I just like making stuff. If I figure it out I'll likely make myself a hop basket as well.

I'm interested as well. I want to build a basket with a built in way to squeeze the grains.

A seam welder would do it for sure, if you can get access to one.

When I think about riveting it I picture sandwiching the rivets between two strips of stainless to help keep the weight off of each rivet.

The early hop baskets were just riveted through the mesh, pushing the wires aside, not damaging them. Some used small washers to distribute the forces and prevent pull-through.

The early hop baskets were just riveted through the mesh, pushing the wires aside, not damaging them. Some used small washers to distribute the forces and prevent pull-through.

Right, washers might do it. There would have to be some number crunching to decide how many pounds of grain you wanted on each rivet though.

I've tried tigging, but it'll overheat. The wire is just too small. Spot welding works well...just not as good as a seam welder....and if you're looking at doing a basket you need some long tongs!

I'd just go have a look at arborfab.com. I'm a bigtime DIY guy but some things are just better left to someone with the right skills and equipment...!

I've been looking at arborfab for ideas, but it's more about learning to do it than anything else. I want to learn how to make ALL the things!

Sew it with SS wire.

I built a hop basket using SS mesh once. I did not end up liking it. I put it together using a spot welder in my shop. Just had to adjust the time on the weld until it welded good without burning through too much.

After all that, and then not liking the end result, I found someone who showed how they wove a SS wire through the mesh to hold it all together. Could have saved a lot of effort.

Silver solder. I've done several this way and it works pretty well.
The key thing I learned on this is to pre-solder the 2 edges (aka 'tin' them), then you just flow in the solder to join them, and if you have a big a$$ soldering iron, use that.
I've used: a std propane torch but it tends to burn/oxidize the wires quickly, a butane mini torch which is better but still can get too hot, and a 100w soldering iron which is by far the best.
The very first time around I also used the butane and brazing paste (flux & powdered metal in one), but the temperature had to be too high causing oxidation issues. In the end it works very well, but the seam is not 100%. It's held up quite nicely for 3 years, so far.

Just saw this thread.
I've tig welded ss mesh several times. There is a trick to it. I like to keep the filler wire in there so I have some "meat" to keep the arc going on. Then I watch the edges and just let them wet out.

I'm at work now, I can post a pic later

These are steam diffusers. The tubing is 1/4" and I'm not sure of the mesh size of the screen material. I've also welded some "felt" metal for purge blocks.
P1010230.jpg

Here's a purge block
P1010192.jpg

These are steam diffusers. The tubing is 1/4" and I'm not sure of the mesh size of the screen material. I've also welded some "felt" metal for purge blocks.
P1010230.jpg

Here's a purge block
P1010192.jpg

That is some beautiful welding. That is actually welded? Not soldered, brazed or otherwise? I only ask because if so I am super impressed and want to pick your brain a bit. Assuming that is welded you are kinda my new hero!

Sorry, just realized that pic is referencig your above post: tig welded, which is what I do best... been a long day. I have questions, I'll PM you tomorrow when I'm rested.

Sorry, just realized that pic is referencig your above post: tig welded, which is what I do best... been a long day. I have questions, I'll PM you tomorrow when I'm rested.

No worries. When I posted the pics I was falling asleep while posting. Haha. I had just finished 4 24oz steins of amber and I get up at 2am for work.

Yes that's actually welded. I did those a few years back when I was playing around with steam. I was going to build a steam fired kettle and use steam for maintaining and doing step mash schedules. The purge blocks are what I use to back gas a good portion of my welds. I need to figure out what that felt metal is actually called. I get scraps from work. It's awesome gas diffuser.

Happy thanksgiving :mug:
Pm whenever. Happy to chat with you.

Back