Welding a weldless fitting in place?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovetop535

Reaction score
Is there any harm in doing this? I purchased some pre cut and drilled kegs off of Craigslist thinking I could just put some weldless fittings in and call it good. I tested it today and could not get it water right and I know it is because the hole is to big. I tore the washer in half trying to tighten it enough to seal.

The hardware is from brewhardware, really nice stuff. Just wish the holes were smaller.

I'd remove the o ring and any Teflon tape first but its fine to weld. I've got the same issue and am about to do that to mine.

Instead of welding the fitting in place, I'd suggest that you use Harris Stay-Brite solder and Stay-Clean liquid flux.

Home Depot has a kit - homedepot.com Stay-Brite Kit with Flux

You can use a propane torch to accomplish the task.

This would definitely be the cheaper option. I do not have much experience with soldering, but I am willing to give it a try.

This is the assembly I have
http://brewhardware.com/images/products/valves/WLdip58.png

To use that product, would I be applying the solder to the outside of the fitting? Snug down the nut and o-ring on the oustide and then solder in place?

Thanks
Alex

Solder the nut to the outside of the kettle and make sure it is sealed well to the kettle outside surface. Once that is done, you can assemble the unit, placing the washer on the inside of the kettle.

Thanks, I will try that first. Hopefully I can get it water tight and not have it look too bad.

Edit:

Did a little reading on the solder approach, will this still work even though the hole is too big for me to dimple and then pull the fitting through? The nut on the outside touches, for the most part, all the way around. Obviously there are a few small gaps cause of the curve. This will not cause an issue?

It will work very well. Place the nut and solder it in place. Do not over heat it and the solder will fill the voids and secure it all the way around.

Back