Welder Rant....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnadamn

Reaction score
I posted this here as it has no real purpose in the other categories but I just want to vent.

Basically I found a welder on craigslist that said he would weld fittings (3x 1/2& 1x 2" tri-clover ferrule) onto my keggle for the price of $45. I specified tig welds throughout and showed him the coupling that had already been put in for the dip tube as an example of what I was looking for. On top of this I showed him my tri-clover 4500w water heater element and how it connects to the fitting to be welded on the keg. After this I gave him everything including the heater element and the clamp. He said that none of this would be an issue and it looked like a pretty easy job and had done a few before!! I'm thinking im getting a grat deal from a guy whod done this before:ban:

I go to pick it up today walk up and he shows it to me. First thing I notice is that there are NO WELDS. He said that he tacked the 4 sides then epoxied all the fittings in with metal epoxy. The next thing I notice is that next to the keg is a tiny stick welding inventor (no bigger than a car battery).

After this I look at the tri-clover ferrule... This is the icing on the cake. When he epoxied the ferrule into place he pushed it ALL THE WAY IN. It is completely impossible to clamp on the heating element! :mad: He said he would work on it tonight and tomorrow to fix it. I have a feeling that the clamp itself will be a LOT lighter then when it was given to him as I'm sure the epoxy/weld tacks would be a pain to undo and move the ferrule out. Will post pics tomorrow. I'm off to get a beer let me know what you guys think.

It should be called "scam artist rant". You should have taken all your parts and ran fast. I can't believe you actually left it to have him "work" on it. You'll end up trading that keg in at the scrap yard for a new one. If packing the joint with JB weld was good enough, you could do that yourself.

I basically figured the thing was written off as it is. If the guy can get it to work at least I can brew with my family this next week when I go to MN. I already have another keg and a welder back home that does a good job, that is my worst case scenario. Needless to say that guy is not going to be used again

I thought the title was, "Weider Rant". It was less interesting.

In any case, I'd be pissed off! I wouldn't leave any piece of my system in the hands of some craiglist dude I'd never met. I'd rather screw them up myself (which I'm pretty good at!). :D

That sucks. But perhaps a decent welder can make something useful out of that keg, even though it may be shot for what you wanted it for.

Look in the yellow pages under welders. Find one that lists stainless as a specialty. You may pay more but your odds are better. And you never know they give you a deal because it's something different from the usual!

I actually lucked out... The guy lied about tacking the four sides. All I had to do is heat the fittings with a MAPP Tourch till the JB weld turned red then a slight tap with the hammer it was out. In 8 minutes I had all 3 1/2" couplings out and the 2" Triclamp as well. Tomorrow it goes to the welder that has done kegs for me before now that I am at my parents house for the week.

Back