Welded kegs - Did I get burned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumo2000

Reaction score
So I picked up my first couple kegs yesterday. Not knowing what to watch for I didn't even register the grind marks on each until I got them home. Should these be usable? They were both under quite a bit of pressure that I had to bleed off so I know they can take at least some pressure but I don't want anything to explode.

059930d7-57c7-4ee7-acca-e0b6bc20f1d8.jpg

20130725_191154.jpg

33803da0-0e86-4184-b19e-46ec8499d876.jpg

Do you know what gauge it is? It doesn't LOOK bad in the pictures. Everything still looks very usable. Those grind marks don't look deep at all. Just my opinion.

I can't find any markings indicating guage. Actually, just from knocking on the side one seems a bit more solid than the other so maybe two different guages.

Ya they look a little beat up but I would use them. Trial and error! Good luck

Well since the kegs aren't plastic and you won't have them at crazy pressures, I doubt they'd explode. Worst case I think is it'll pop back open at the weld and leak. You ever puncture a beer or soda can by accident when you drop it? You get a steady stream of liquid for a bit but that's it, they don't explode. Just make sure there are pressure relief valves on the lids.

Fill with water and pressure test at a relatively high pressure, say 50psi. If they don't leak then use them. Treat them with a soft touch and they'll be fine.

If you two-week carb them at serving pressure, the most they'll ever see is 10-12psi except for momentarily when you're seating the lid (maybe 20-25psi).

I'd be more concerned about checking to see that there are no crevices inside for bacteria to hide.

I bought a few kegs last year and got home to find the same type of repair on one keg. It was holding pressure at the time also. Its been through a number of batches now without any problems. Looks like a decent weld repair that should be fine imo

Back