Weldable Keggle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jif

Reaction score
I've got a keg sitting around in my garage (rental house in a college town, it was inherited by previous owners who hate getting their deposits back, so it seems) and I'm looking at converting it into a keggle. I've also happened upon some free plasma cutting/welding services, so I'm thinking that it'll be both better and cheaper to do welded parts, rather than buying a weldless kit. I've only, however, been able to find weldless kits around the webs. Do welded kits not exist, and are just cobbled together from local hardware store parts? If so, what do I need? Do I need a dip tube immediately as well?

all the parts you would use from a weldless kit will work with a welded kit..

you just need a SS coupling, nipple, and valve..

Weld the coupling through the keg.. and you can attach pretty much anything you want to it..

You can take a s/s steel coupler and cut it in half, now you have two weld in bungs, or can by weld in bungs from MC master or Granger. The ones you buy have a more metal around the area for welding. I have welding in both styles, the weld in bungs look better when you done.

I had 1/2" MPT welded for the ball valve, and 1/2" female for the thermometer, and a 1/4" female for the sight glass. The male part allows the ball valve to go on with one piece. I got my parts from Bargain Fittings and my thermo from AHS, my sight glass from Forsale

IMG_3227.jpg

I like to have them fully threaded on both sides so I can attach a dip tube (not in this pic yet just the copper adaptor) and a thermometer guard.

IMG_3228.jpg

Do I need a dip tube to use the keggle from the get-go or can I do without? Is there an easy way to DIY one?

You can make a dip tube with either straight copper or with the soft stuff. With the soft stuff you have to buy the next bigger size which I think was 5/8" to fit my 1/2" fittings, unless the hardware store guy was on crack. Making a gentle bend in a longer piece and cut it where it is still straight, right before the bend starts. If you cut in a bent area, the tube will be out of round and won't fit the fitting. If you use hard copper just get a 45˚ or 90˚ elbow and section it together. The tubing should fit tight enough to get a good siphone going until the very bottom which probably won't be usable anyway.

Back