Welch's Grape Juice Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am new to wine making and went over knuts making this wine about 4 differnt gallon jugs working now and different recipe mine calls for 1/2 tsp bentonite and 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme

making as i type this ready feb 15-16 for bottles

gallon 1 - 4 cans grape juice added sugar added sg 1.250 -- rc-212 -yeast
2 - 2 cans grape juice added sugar sg 1.150 -- Montrachet - yeast
3 - 4 cans white/razberry added some sugar sg 1.100 -- 1cv-d47 - yeast
4 - 4 cans white/peach added sugar sg 1.125 -- 71b-1122 - yeast

hope they come out tasty if the do ill make more and keep you posted

also have honey mead working now but wont be ready till june cant wait to taste it been a year since i made that stuff used 4lbs honey per gallon some brown sugar and pumkin pie spices

ok thaught i give you the recipe

4 cans 11.5oz cans frozen welch's juice your choice
82 oz spring water
1/2 tsp bentonite clay
1 tsp yeast Nutrient
1/2 tsp pectic Enzyme
yeast of your choice

have fun and enjoy yoohohooo

Hey there! So I just sampled a bit of this stuff and WOW IT'S STRONG! It has been in the carboy since 1.12.12. Is there any way to tone it down? The SG is at .990. It still has a fizzy taste to it as well.

Thanks!

I've made a few batches of this stuff, a one gallon and two 5 gallon. I was surprised at how "hot" is was at first. The 5 gallon batch was aged for 6 months and was still hot when I bottled it. After about 1 - 2 months in the bottle it smoothed right out. I backsweetened at the end and this stuff is really really good. My second 5 gallon batch is fermenting now. I used a total of 15 cans of concentrate to get more flavor, but the last batch is tasting so good now I'm starting to second guess that extra concentrate.

It's pretty sweet but not sweet enough for my wife. I was surprised that it needed sweetened, too. I should also say that I threw in a few bottles of an older grape wine I made that was kinda dry.

It's pretty sweet but not sweet enough for my wife. I was surprised that it needed sweetened, too. I should also say that I threw in a few bottles of an older grape wine I made that was kinda dry.

one idea instead of adding all of the 15 cans up front when making this, i've had success doing the regular recipe, letting it ferment out then stabilizing and adding an additional 4 or 5 cans of concentrate at bottling time for both sweetness and flavor....just an idea

have made this a bunch thanks for the recipe Yooper.

starting to branch out with the same recipe with different juice flavors.
i see you said if you used the non concentrate juice you wouldnt add any water, how would you go about adding sugar if using the non concentrate. since boiling juice is a no no. would you do it apfelwein style and just add it to the bottle and shake? or disolve some in juice on stove at a warm temp not boiling?
have 5 batches im hoping to start today th cranberry is the only one frozen the others are bottled juices.

black cherry/concord
white grape/cherry
cranberry
blueberry/pomagranate
white grape/peach

I make cider in a simulations fashion and I just warm the juice on the stove to desolve the sugar with great results.

I made a 6 gallon batch.

O.G. 1.096

It was in the primary for 17 days. I racked to a glass carboy today at .998 S.G. It was clear and tart. I want it to be a sweet dessert wine. I have about a half gallon of head space in the carboy. Should I top that off with water and leave it in the carboy for a month or kill the yeast now and back sweeten at his point?

I "ported" some Welch's by blending with brandy and back-sweetening. It turned out reasonably well. This is one approach you could use to top off w/o diluting your wine too much. A half gallon is quite a bit of head space. If you used Yooper's recipe, a half gallon of water might make the wine too thin. You could test both approaches using a small sample (bench test) and decide which way to go.

Other approaches would include racking to smaller carboys, if you have them, or adding something inert, like sanitized marbles, or topping up with a similar wine. I have used Carlo Rossi Piasano to top up inexpensive "reds." It is cheap, but did not overpower or even influence the final wine very much -- just what I wanted.

I made a 6 gallon batch.

O.G. 1.096

It was in the primary for 17 days. I racked to a glass carboy today at .998 S.G. It was clear and tart. I want it to be a sweet dessert wine. I have about a half gallon of head space in the carboy. Should I top that off with water and leave it in the carboy for a month or kill the yeast now and back sweeten at his point?

Rack to a smaller carboy, and put the excess in a wine bottle or growler. You certainly don't want 1/2 gallon of headspace!

Left to right black cherry concord first racking, blueberry pomegranate in secondary, white grape cherry first racking, Niagara white secondary. Fermentation chamber smells amazing!

ForumRunner_20120207_224711.jpg

"Acid blend" -- I have individual packets of malic, tartaric, citric and ascorbic acid (though I'm guessing the vitamin c is more for preservation than inclusion in a must)

My last recipe (mead) called for 0.75 tsp tartaric acid and 1.25 tsp malic acid, so I'll probably just go that route, unless someone has a better idea.

From jack sellers site
Acid blend is commonly used to increase the acidity of a must. There are many formulations of these blends. Commercially, acid blends usually contain tartaric, malic and citric acids in a ratio of 40-40-20, 40-30-30, 50-30-20, or 50-25-25. You should ask your supplier what the specific ratio of the blend he sells is if you want precision in your acidity. Most blends, however, are 40-40-20, and adding 3.9 grams of this ratio blend will increase the acidity in a gallon of must approximately 0.1%. This same increase can be achieved by adding to a gallon of must 3.78 grams of tartaric acid (you can use 3.8 g/gal for the sake of simplicity). Fumaric acid in food grade powder form is sometimes used as a partial substitute for additions of tartaric acid because it tends to inhibit malo-lactic fermentation when used in the range of 1.5 to 5.7 grams per gallon (achieving an increase of 0.05 to 0.15% acidity). When used in large doses, however, it may affect flavor so testing its use in a sample of wine is wise before using it.

I opened a bottle of the white grape tonight and it has came a LONG way!
When I bottled it about 3 months ago it was very harsh but in just 3 months it has melloed out nicely and you can smell the grapes alot more with less alcohol smell.
Glad I didnt poor it down the drain now.

One more question -- after reading through all 38 pages, I get the impression that red grapes will ferment much harder than the mead or cider I've already done... but I used a 2 gallon bucket as primary for 1 gallon batches. Is there a danger of it foaming up that much? It seems like most people are using a 1 gallon carboy for primary, so I can understand the concern of blow-off... but so far it looks like my foam has gone maybe 1/2 inch up the side of my bucket on the hardest ferment, leaving a good 7-8 inches of headspace to spare in primary. I probably don't need to worry about this overflowing in primary, right? (I understand, no guarantees...)

One more question -- after reading through all 38 pages, I get the impression that red grapes will ferment much harder than the mead or cider I've already done... but I used a 2 gallon bucket as primary for 1 gallon batches. Is there a danger of it foaming up that much? It seems like most people are using a 1 gallon carboy for primary, so I can understand the concern of blow-off... but so far it looks like my foam has gone maybe 1/2 inch up the side of my bucket on the hardest ferment, leaving a good 7-8 inches of headspace to spare in primary. I probably don't need to worry about this overflowing in primary, right? (I understand, no guarantees...)

none of my batches soo far have gone more than an inch of foam i ferment in 2 gallon buckets for one gallon batches, also i use premier cuvee yeast.

Oops, wound up with an OG of 1.095, think I poured a little too much sugar when I eyeballed it... This is going to be very strong and/or very sweet. I guess we'll find out in a few months.

(That's why I call these early attempts at fermentation "experiments"...)

ForumRunner_20120209_213644.jpg

just got done bottling...from left to right 2 cans....4 cans welches grape...4 cans white raspberry...can't wait couple more months to drink it

plan on finding some 1-2 gallon jugs/pails to start a few batches of this recipe, looks VERY interesting...

I'd just like to ask, in the recipe it mentioned "After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles."

I have a few questions on this part, if anyone can please help me prep ahead of time:

#1 it says to stabilize, what or how is everyone doing this for their batches?
#2 if you sweeten, will it not start to ferment again? just curious, I've been reading allot on this forum over the last few months & I'm trying to learn as much as possible...

thanks for any and all help and tips.

Cheers,

i usually use campden tablets to stabilize then i use wine conditioner, this helps sweeten and adds pot sorbate to keep it from refermenting. i've sweetened every batch i've made, atleast alittle. hope this helps

plan on finding some 1-2 gallon jugs/pails to start a few batches of this recipe, looks VERY interesting...

I'd just like to ask, in the recipe it mentioned "After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles."

I have a few questions on this part, if anyone can please help me prep ahead of time:

#2 if you sweeten, will it not start to ferment again? just curious, I've been reading allot on this forum over the last few months & I'm trying to learn as much as possible...

Cheers,

Just wanted to mention I made a white grape raspberry wine last April that I didn't care for. I have been using it for topping carboys. Now 10 months later I was topping off a carboy and drank the last bit of wine from the bottle I was using. It was so good I had to open another bottle to see if it was as good. Another lesson in patience.

i went to Walmart last night and picked up some welch's frozen juice concentrate, but the only ones they had were the purple "drink" and the white grape "drink". will these work for this wine? or is there actual juice out there as well. my cans are white plastic ones, but the ingredient list looks like it should be ok to use, just wanted to verify. I picked up 2 cans of each, just incase...also, I was only able to find 4 Gallon pails, nothing smaller, so if i make a double batch, to 2 gallons each and that would leave around 2 gallons of head space, is that too much space to leave? don't want to spoil the batches.

thanks,

I've only used the cans that are labeled "100% Juice" and not drink or cocktail.

That's ok headspace for primary, but for secondary it has to go into jugs or carboys with a narrow headspace.

ya, that's what I thought too...but I couldn't find any of those up here in my neck of the woods in the great white north...I'll keep looking and see what else I can find, thanks for the help.

oh, and ya, for the secondary I'm going to have a challenge I think...I'll see what I can find...thanks again.

oh hey Yooper, I didn't realize this was your thread/recipe...thanks for the fast reply :D greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

1. I use 1 campden per gallon plus 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate per gallon.
2. The campden and sorbate will keep it from re fermenting provided it was really over in the first place. I did have a couple that I rushed that developed a little sediment in the bottle. Not really a fermentation because they didn't go to dry or blow the corks but not something you want in your wine. I don't bottle them anymore until they are 4 to 6 months old but I have quite a few carboys and half my basement to use.

So let me run this by everyone before I get too committed, looking at making a 3 gallon batch (5 Gallon bucket for primary with lots of breathing/ head room, then three 1 Gallon wine jugs with air locks for secondary)

6 Cans of 100% Juice Conc.
3 3/4 LBs Sugar
3 Tsp Pectic
3 Tsp Yeast Nutrient
Lalvin K1-v1116
water

Does that sound right to everyone?

1. I use 1 campden per gallon plus 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate per gallon.
2. The campden and sorbate will keep it from re fermenting provided it was really over in the first place. I did have a couple that I rushed that developed a little sediment in the bottle. Not really a fermentation because they didn't go to dry or blow the corks but not something you want in your wine. I don't bottle them anymore until they are 4 to 6 months old but I have quite a few carboys and half my basement to use.

thank you soo much for your reply. this will help me for sure get things right.

thanks,

That's ok headspace for primary, but for secondary it has to go into jugs or carboys with a narrow headspace.

hey Yooper, quick question for you about the pails, would a 5/6 gallon pail be ok head space for a primary too? or should I stick with the smaller 4 gallon pails? & still double the recipes to 2 gallons regardless to reduce the head space as much as possible? thanks.

Primary headspace isn't an issue some even open primary, you need little to no headspace in secondary.

Back