WeizenStephen HefeWeizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mad Hatter

Reaction score
Yesterday I put together my first attempt at a PM brew. I got the recipe out of my new favorite book 'Brewing Classic Styles" If you do not have this book, I think it is a must get. The recipes are extraxt recipes, but they also have all grain conversions in there. We converted an all grain to a PM. Here is what we did...

5.5# Pilsner Malt
1# 2row (I think, cant remember now... must be old age...)
1 can Briess Wheat LME
1# DME
1oz Hallature
Yeast: WeizenStephen
Preboil" 1.068
OG: 1.054

First I brought my sparge water up to 165* (3 gallons) and I let the grain sit in there for 30 min. I checked the temp and the thermometer said it was OK. So I let it go a bit more. I checked with another thermometer and they were different. Need to caliberate them. Raised the temp up a bit and finished out the 60 min mash. While that was going, I brough up another two gallons in a second pot to 175*. I used this as my strike water. I "Tea Bagged" for ten min.

During that time, I added the LME and DEM to the first pot as it was still around 155 - 160 and turned on the heat. I then added the second pot, the strike water to the first pot and bagen the boil. Once the boil started I threw in the hops for 60 min.

I took a pre boil gravity reading after everything was mixed in and it came out to 1.068.

Once the boil was over I cooled down to 70* to 75* in the sink in an ice bath. then I transferred to the primary. It came to about 4-3/4 gallons or so. I topped off to 5.5, took a gravity reading and got 1.054.

Nextime I think I will try a second "running" in the strike pot to get more wort to boil off. I think if I shoot for a six gallon boil I will be able to get the 5.5 in the primary, that way I do not have to do the top off water.

Other than the water problem, is there anything else that you guys see that I am missing?

This was by far the funnest batch I have done yet, and the smell of all that grain was amazing.

Back