Weizenbock - need feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
This recipe is a tweak on the weizenbock from Papazian's book. I made a dunkel with Special B in my second batch and want to do it again.

OG: 1.068
FG: 1.017
IBU: 18.2
SRM: 18

7 lb White Wheat Malt - 50%
4 lb Pilsner - 29%
2 lb German Munich - 14%
.5 lb Aromatic - 4%
.25 lb Chocolate Wheat - 2%
.25 lb Special B - 2%

1 oz Tradition (6% AA)

Wyeast 3638 - Bavarian Wheat

Infusion mash at 158F. Batch sparge at 168F.

Your thoughts? Is the grist too complex for this style? I like to KISS, but had trouble nixing one of the specialty malts. Not necessarily looking for authenticity.

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm a big fan of Munich malt, so I'd probably cut out the pils all together and use munich to replace it. That's just me though, I think you're recipe looks good as is.

Hmm. Thanks. I like the idea of a nice, malty wheat. Any downside to including, say, 40% Munich in the grist?

It all depends on what kind of Munich malt you're using and how well it was made. My house bock used 55-60% munich. Technically, an authentic bock should include 80-90% munich. Check to make sure you're Munich is made with 2-row and not 6-row. I always assumed 6-row would be better since it has more enzymes, but I've been told that 2-row munich is the way to go, otherwise you'll get some nasty flavors from that much munich.

40% is fine though.

Back