weird yeast reaction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mefisto666

Reaction score
So, I started making my second batch of cider and this time i decided to mix my ec-1118 with the warm water and brown sugar. I let it rest for 15 mins according to the package instructions, but when I uncovered it, it had formed unstable solid bubbles (similar to soap bubbles but with a yeasty-brownish color). I thought it was weird so I just mixed everything again and it looked normal, then I pitched in the yeast into my cider (don't judge I'm a rookie) and this morning i looked at it and all the yeast seems to be curdled up at the top...........i sanitized the carboy with 5star (iodine/iodide) solution (formerly known as BTF sanitizer), let it air dry for 15 mins, and used pure cane sugar. Also, the liquid is still slowly fermenting.

any explanations and advice on what to do next is greatly appreciated.

so in other words you proofed the yeast and used a top fermenting strain. everything is normal leave it alone and let the yeast do their thing.

Back