Weird Looking Baby SCOBI - is it right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websaill

Reaction score
Hi there

I am very new to brewing Kombucha (4th batch) and every time a make a batch I get a baby SCOBI.

I am now brewing a batch with one of the babies and it gave another baby (what is going on here?) that looks wrong! Can you help me with:

1. What am I doing to have new babies every time? Too much sugar could do it?
2. Is the ugly looking SCOBI ok :confused:? I don't like the bubble and the brownish bits!

Thanks,

K1.jpg

k2.jpg

How does it taste?

How much sugar are you adding?

Doesn't look bad to me, the bubbles form when the gas from fermentation gets trapped between the layers of scoby's, I just use a clean chopstick or the thin end of a clean wooden spoon to push it back under the liquid to prevent it from drying out or unwanted mold growing. Then separate them out when they get too thick and begin to affect the final yield.

Not sure what you mean in question 1. about having babies every time. Each new batch is expected to and supposed to produce a new daughter SCOBY. Are you saying you didn't think a daughter could become a mom?

Regarding the brownish bits, looks normal to me but like you I'm new at this. Still, it looks like yeast strands / globs, not mold, IMO. I'd be happy with it and looking forward to tasting it!

Latest posts

Back