Weird brewday - gravities too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
Jamil's APA, all grain 3 gal batch BIAB. Pretty sure the crush was too fine from my LHBS. Another good reason to get a mill probably. Preboil gravity was 10 points higher than it was supposed to be. I did bump the base malt up a bit. Mashed 75 min also, which may have contributed. Then, after adding water to get to the right level, my boil-off rate was greater than expected and my post-boil OG was again about 8 points above expected. I gotta dial this process in better. Hydrometer is correct I'm assuming since water measured in at 1.000. Measurements were taken after wort was allowed to cool.

Just thought I'd share.:tank:

That happens. Keep taking good notes and update your software appropriately so your improved numbers can be reflected in planning future brews.

My brew day yesterday was strange too. My volumes were crazy high for no obvious reason (other than maybe I can't count). I cut my hand on my auto siphon somehow. Fell UP the stairs and hurt my elbow. Couldn't get my chiller to get the beer cool enough so had to pitch late last night. I ended up with correct volume and gravity into the fermenter and it's bubbling away today, but weird day... Is it a full moon?

That happens. Keep taking good notes and update your software appropriately so your improved numbers can be reflected in planning future brews.

My brew day yesterday was strange too. My volumes were crazy high for no obvious reason (other than maybe I can't count). I cut my hand on my auto siphon somehow. Fell UP the stairs and hurt my elbow. Couldn't get my chiller to get the beer cool enough so had to pitch late last night. I ended up with correct volume and gravity into the fermenter and it's bubbling away today, but weird day... Is it a full moon?

Thanks DocScott, I got a chuckle out of that. Glad it's not just me. :D In the end we'll both have beer.

Back