Weihenstephaner Vitus Extract Clone Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanK2

Reaction score
I've searched for a clone of the Vitus and have come up empty. Does anyone have any ideas on an extract clone recipe for this delicious weizenbock?

AHS has an awesome kit that is a clone of the Aventinus weizenbock from Schinider. I've made it twice now and it's one of the best beers I've ever had.

Yeah that's close, but I'm looking a bit lighter. I'd like an exact clone of Vitus.

Yeah, I am right there with you. I am looking for something lighter, and haven't had any luck with finding a clone.

I know this is an old thread that seems to have died but after a ton of searching I have had no luck myself on this one. Anyone who has come up an extract clone please respond. This has become a household favorite and it would be awesome to add to my assortment of brews.

Wheat extract from a german manufacturer to about 1.068, ~18 IBU from noble hops and wyeast 3068 (or the White Labs equivalent, WLP300 I think).

Pretty simple beer.

A slight touch of something like caravienna might not hurt but I would guess the real deal is pilsner and wheat only (maybe decocted).

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=273
AHS Weizenbock [01881]:
Strong, but not as full-bodied as a standard bock, this beer also exhibits some of the typical German wheat beer spiciness. It features Caramunich®, Carawheat® and chocolate grains. O.G. = 1.07 Approximately 7.2% ABV.

Vitus is quite delicious and a steal for the price of $2.39/pint. If you want the beer to be lighter just take the base beer for a similar recipe and substitute for lighter ingredients like remilard pointed out.

Half-ass Vitus:
1 lb Wheat
1 lb Carawheat
.5 lb Caramunich
.1 lb Chocolate
6 lb wheat extract DME
1.5 oz Noble hops (60 min)
.5 oz Noble hops (10 min)
WY/WL Hefe yeast

I just bottled an amped up weizenbock and barrel aged it for 2 weeks for a lil extra complexity. It needs some age on it, but tastes great so far.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll have to give your half ass vitus a try.

Back