Weight for hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mslauto

Reaction score
I'm going to dry hop a batch later this evening and don't have and marbles to weigh down my hops bag and ideas what I can use instead?

Just put the bag in the fermenter, maybe push it under with a sanitized tool. Once they are wet you will not really need anything else. Be sure not to tie the hop bag too tight, they will swell many times the size they are dry when they get wet.

Primary or secondary doesn't matter. Just make sure the beer has stopped fermenting.

I would just toss the hops is and let them swim free. A bag will constrict them, and if not weighed down, they might not all contact the beer.

If you just toss them in. When you rack the beer out, put a mesh over the racking cane. I use a 5 gallon paint straining bag from Lowes/Home-Depot. It prevents the hops (leaf or pellet) from being siphoned into the bottling bucket.

I don't use hops bags, but I'm very proficient with racking.

If I did use a bag, I'd make sure that the hops are in a big enough bag to be loose and free, so that the beer could be in contact with the hops. I would not weigh it down, as there is no reason to do that.

Good suggestions for clearing hops from wort. I do BIAB and use a weighted bag for hops. Just a preference.

I weigh down the hops bag with tablespoons, the kind you eat with. Our stainless steel flatware has rounded bases and do not puncture the hops bag. Dunk them in StarSan and right into the hop bag, about one tablespoon per ounce of buoyant hops. If it still floats I throw in another spoon.

By using stainless steel spoons instead of marbles I never have to worry about glass in the wort. And I don't have to buy and store yet another special item.

If you have some stainless steel nuts lying around somewhere you could sanitize them & throw them in the hop bags. I've done that before in a pinch.

Are you dryhopping with pellets or leaf hops? Don't bother bagging pellets; they dissolve quicker, eventually sink, and generally don't have a problem with full beer contact. Leaf hops on the other hand will float, for the majority. With a 3 oz. dryhop, only 50% or so will have contact with the beer.

I've heard of marbles, river rocks, nuts/bolts, and even spoons used. Be careful with what you use to weigh down the bag. For instance, it will prove quite difficult to remove something like spoons, which may get stuck sideways in the neck of a carboy. If you bag a bunch of marbles and tie the bag, the bulged bag will also be very difficult to remove.

Back