Weight capacity electric stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSun

Reaction score
Moved into a new house. I want to brew a new home beer. The Mrs is skeptical that the weight capacity for the stove is going to be an issue. I usually have 8 gallons of wort before the boil. Around 60+ lbs. What ls everyone's take on the weight capacity of an electric range?

View attachment 1473623091352.jpg

I've had At least 10-12 gallons on my stove top before, mine has a glass top but I can't imagine 8 gallons being a problem.

Give it a try - fill your BK with 8 gal of water and see what happens. I don't think you would have a problem, I'd just test it out first rather than risk having 8 gal of wort you can't boil.

Or i can use my dad propane burner for his turkeys. But id need to figure out a cooling system since i wont be connected to a sink.

I routinely use my stove for 7 gal boils and my stove hasn't had an issue yet. The boil has been light to moderate but no weight issues.

As for cooling, have 8-10 2L bottles of frozen H2O and a large tub to act as a swamp cooler. You will get 80-90° after about 30 minutes with stirring every 5-10 minutes.

OP- you shouldn't have any issues. I've got a similar stove and have had no problems. Plus, you have burners with more coils, which will put out more wattage/heat.
I'd like to hear from more people on this too.
Bought a coil electric stove instead of glass top because of the weight of 7+ gallons and kettle. Salespeople wouldn't guarantee any of the glass top stoves could handle the weight.
What have everybody else's experiences been? Any stoves give in to 60lbs of water and grain?
Maybe a sticky with stove make/model along with largest weight tolerated for other stove top/electric brewers?

I boiled on an electric stove for a long time, like 8 years. I did everything from 4 gallon partial boils to 8 gallon full boils.

That said, a year or so after I switched to using propane outside, I had an electrical fire in my stove. No way of knowing if the years of brewing contributed to it.

You should be fine, I routinely had 8 gallons on a similar stove. If you're really concerned, look into getting a canning element. They're designed to take the weight.

You should be fine, I routinely had 8 gallons on a similar stove. If you're really concerned, look into getting a canning element. They're designed to take the weight.

Any way you can show a pic of this canning element?

Any way you can show a pic of this canning element?

I don't have one, but like this:
PD_0022_464_YA145A

I called Whirlpool and asked for the weight capacity..their response.....we don't have one on record.

With that being said. I guess its time to trust the home brewing community and see what happens..

Next problem to tackle..cooling down...i dont have a nozzle on my sink that can screw thr wort chilling tubes too...an ice bath takes to long and the ice plate cooler i dont know how i can use it unless i csn attach it to the hose outside.

Or i can use my dad propane burner for his turkeys. But id need to figure out a cooling system since i wont be connected to a sink.

Propane burner is easier. Why not buy an immersion chiller? Doesn't your house have outside taps?

The weight capacity of the stove should be listed in the manual. Most appliance manuals can be found online.

Propane burner is easier. Why not buy an immersion chiller? Doesn't your house have outside taps?

I have a copper coiled wort chiller. My house only has a hose water supply outside. When I use the immersion chiller and ice bath it still takes an hour to bring to 70°.

Im looking online and found a $60 plate chiller with free shipping. Id need to go to lowes and buy the proper connections and hoses. Then i can use my outside hose with an ice bath on my deck to chill it.

Propane is WAY more costly than using an electric stove. But the stove may not heat as fast, or boil as vigorously. If you notice that, keep the lid on halfway during the boil, and put some insulation on the lid and around the kettle, but away from the glowing hot element of course. On some stoves you can straddle the kettle over 2 elements.

I too like brewing indoors. Using induction here (IC3500). Haven't brewed outside since.

I'm always the one to do this ...

propane boil outside, dispense to keg or ss vessel at temps high enough to kill bacteria, cool over night or so, aerate and pitch your yeast.

I'm about 40 batches in with no-chill and not a problem. Clear and delicious with no DMS.

My beers have continued on their path of improvement since taking on this approach.

Getting a rigorous boil and spending time outside is a luxury of well equipped home brewing. Unless you live on Baffin Island!!!

I'm always the one to do this ...

propane boil outside, dispense to keg or ss vessel at temps high enough to kill bacteria, cool over night or so, aerate and pitch your yeast.

I'm about 40 batches in with no-chill and not a problem. Clear and delicious with no DMS.

My beers have continued on their path of improvement since taking on this approach.

I would do the whole overnight thing but I get too anxious and want to finish it in one day. Typically brew day was 7 hours for me. I think with this new method of an electric stove and plate chiller I can bring it down to 4 or 5.

I wound up putting two pieces of wood wrapped in tin foil between the kettle and stove to help displace the weight off the coils.

The time it took to heat up my wort was the same as my gas stove in my previous residence.

Latest posts

Back