Weighing down hop bag when dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjay

Reaction score
Hi
So i am just about to brew my first beer using dry hopping and have read that people recommend using a hop bag and weighing it down with marbles.

However, because of the corona lockdown in my country i can't get my hands on any marbles at the moment so i was wondering if there is any other suitable material for weighing down. I have read that people shy away from using coins and some other metallics as they can start corroding and/or cause off flavours.

Hi
So i am just about to brew my first beer using dry hopping and have read that people recommend using a hop bag and weighing it down with marbles.

However, because of the corona lockdown in my country i can't get my hands on any marbles at the moment so i was wondering if there is any other suitable material for weighing down. I have read that people shy away from using coins and some other metallics as they can start corroding and/or cause off flavours.
Do you have a shot glass? Also, a spoon or something from the kitchen works so long as its good quality stainless.

I'm about to keg hop for the first time and I'm looking for something buoyant to put in the hop filter to keep it up near the surface. I think I have a couple of ping pong balls...

I have a one ounce piece of 999.9 fine silver. Silver has some antibacterial properties too.
Hey great idea! Just be sure you keep track of how long it stays submerged in your beer, that way when your skin permanently turns a sickly shade of gray-blue we can use that information to avoid the same fate.

Argyria:
hh1uhhm92td41.jpg

Maybe some decorative glass rocks. We have some in jars with candles and plants and stuff. Essentially a smushed marble.

Shot glass is a great idea. Does anyone NOT have a shot glass?

SS Nuts, bolts or extra fittings.

Whiskey stones? Marble Chess piece? Not sure if stones are a good idea or not. Anything you use would need to be sanitized obviously.

Hey great idea! Just be sure you keep track of how long it stays submerged in your beer, that way when your skin permanently turns a sickly shade of gray-blue we can use that information to avoid the same fate.

Argyria:
hh1uhhm92td41.jpg

Argyria

Takes a whole bunch of silver to get there.

People ate with silver utensils, teapots, cups, serving dishes, and such daily their entire lives and never had this problem.

Argyria

Takes a whole bunch of silver to get there.

People ate with silver utensils, teapots, cups, serving dishes, and such daily their entire lives and never had this problem.
OKAY DOOD. WHY NOT USE TUNGSTEN OR PLATINUM OR SOMETHING CLASSY. SILVER IS FOR BUMS WHO CANT AFFORD SOMETHING BETTER.

Right thanks - think i will go with KH54s10 recommendations until i can get some marbles

I've tried shot glasses before . Worked great but when I opened the bag the shot glasses were full of hops. I use SS washers now . I just tie them on the sinch string . So the washer goes to the bottom and the bag under the surface.

OKAY DOOD. WHY NOT USE TUNGSTEN OR PLATINUM OR SOMETHING CLASSY. SILVER IS FOR BUMS WHO CANT AFFORD SOMETHING BETTER.

OOOh. Sensitive are we? "DOOD"? You have spelling issues too?

Most people here are pretty respectable and respect others opinions.

Honestly, I could care less about yours.

Almost 2900 posts. You've been here a while too surprisingly.

OOOh. Sensitive are we? "DOOD"? You have spelling issues too?

Most people here are pretty respectable and respect others opinions.

Honestly, I could care less about yours.

Almost 2900 posts. You've been here a while too surprisingly.
Yup, been here a while. Your post was the first I've seen in shouty bold large font.
Calm down Francis.

Yup, been here a while. Your post was the first I've seen in shouty bold large font.
Calm down Francis.

Unfortunately, when I posted that message I copied "Argyria" off a web page.

Pasting the text set the font for the rest of the message. I now know to adjust that because some people seem to easily take things out of context.

Really was not intended as "shouting". I guess it could be called laziness on my part.

I think with my having over 800 posts here a quick search would have shown "shouting" is quite out of character for me.

I don't use anything.
That ^
Nothing! No bags, no weights.

Just add the dry hops loose for much better and quicker extraction. If you use a bucket, push them through the airlock hole one by one, keeping the lid on.
Give the fermenter a gentle swirl once or twice a day, so they get doused with beer; they'll submerge after a day or 2.

They all settle out in the trub. Rack the clear beer off the top into your keg or bottling bucket.

Unfortunately, when I posted that message I copied "Argyria" off a web page.

Pasting the text set the font for the rest of the message. I now know to adjust that because some people seem to easily take things out of context.

Really was not intended as "shouting". I guess it could be called laziness on my part.

I think with my having over 800 posts here a quick search would have shown "shouting" is quite out of character for me.

sOUNDS PLAUSIBLE. wHOOPS, SORRY FOR ALL CAPS MY PINKIE HAS A MIND OF IT'S OWN.

j/k, and sorry for mocking your silver bar :oops:

Back