Wee Heavy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exo

Reaction score
5gal boil
est. SG: 1.097
act. SG: 1.077 (temp. corrected)
boil time: 60min
4563-_MG_4465_600x400.jpg

30min steep at 150deg. then rinsed w/ 170deg. water:
18oz Crystal 55L
3oz Peated Malt
3oz Roasted Barley
3oz Aromatic Malt
dash of Chocolate Malt
4563-_MG_4460_600x400.jpg

Brought to 180deg then removed from heat.
6# Light LME
3# Amber LME
10oz Dark Brown Sugar
added then stirred for 15min

Hop Schedule (est. IBU:40):
1oz E.K. Goldings (alpha 6%) @ 50min
1.0oz Fuggle (4.2%) @ 15min
1.5oz Goldings @ flameout steeped for 5min
.5oz Fuggle dry-hop (tea) (undecided as of yet whether I want to dry-hop this recipe)

Extras:
1tsp Irish Moss @ 15min

Yeast: White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale w/ a two-stage starter:
4563-_MG_4462_600x400.jpg

In the wee heavy I have fermenting we used 8 oz of brown sugar. I didn't have molases and it called for table sugar.

Mine is pretty light in color although I only used 16oz of 60L. Extract was similar.

It's brew-day and this one is now on the burner. Woohoo! Going to be a long 6-8 months to wait for this one to mature.

If I could have re-ordered the ingredients I think I would have went with 9# Light LME and dropped the amber.

Exo said:
It's brew-day and this one is now on the burner. Woohoo! Going to be a long 6-8 months to wait for this one to mature.

If I could have re-ordered the ingredients I think I would have went with 9# Light LME and dropped the amber.

Let us know how it turns out.

I racked mine this weekend and for only being a week old and flat it was pretty good. I used all light extract and it is not too terribly dark, the amber was probably a good idea.

Tasted good racking it to the carboy. Lots of trub in the pot that I didn't transfer. Don't know if this was due to the first time using Irish Moss or not.

The color was fantastic. A deep/dark red. I attribute that to the dash of chocolate malts and the 3.3# of Amber LME?? Tasted good as well...a distinct but light smoky flavor.

OG was 1.077, (w/ temp. correction) though ProMash placed the OG at 1.096. I attribute it to being a steep vs. a partial mash? I did sparge the grains.

Added some photos to the first post. Was a fun brew and it's chugging/bubbling away at 68deg. now.

Back