Wee Heavy and FG issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratotankard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The Recipe:
6.5 Gallons of 2 row base wort OG 1.040 (donated by Diamond Bear Brewery)
Steeped
2lb Crystal 60
.5lb Carapils
.25lb Belgian Aromatic (not to style, but I like the malt character it adds)
3lb light DME

Boiled 60 min to reduce/caramelize then
1oz EK Goldings 60 min
Total volume into the carboy was 4 gallons. Due to some buffoonery I missed getting an OG measurement and I also ended up pitching a mix of WLP023 (Burton) and WLP028 (Edinburgh).

This was part of our local club's Big Brew Day and even though we got drenched we still had a great time (some might say too good :drunk:). My problem is this- I bottled tonight and measured the FG at 1.023. It seemed pretty high, but this has been sitting since May 5th so I'm comfortable that it was finished. Am I just worrying too much now as I picture exploding bottles in my cabinets?

Also anybody with better brewing software than I want to plug this in and give me a guesstimate of OG? Q-Brew is good for the basics, but doesn't factor in boil-off at all.

I should say the sample tastes remarkably like Belhaven's Wee Heavy to my palate. I'm really hoping for good things if this doesn't blow up.

Thanks

Terje

Using my homebrew spreadsheet and 40 ppg for the DME, I get 1.106 as the OG. Ending up at 1.023 gives you 78% AA, which is pretty good given how much C60 you have in there.
BJCP lists the OG as 1.070-1.130 with FG 1.018-1.056 (that seem crazy high). Again, given your OG, you're definitely towards the low end of the range. BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 09

I wouldn't worry about bottle bombs here. :mug:

Back