Wedding Dwojniak BOMM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveofrose

Reaction score
This is a test batch for a wedding mead I plan to give to some friends. I'm hoping to make something that is good for the honeymoon, 1 year, and 5 year anniversaries.

Wedding Dwojniak BOMM
1 gallon batch

Make a quart of strong tea with the spices below by adding off boil water and allow to stand until cool.
1 Vanilla bean
1 Clove
1 star anise
1 TBSP dry china Ginger
1 TBSP dry galangal
1/2 TBSP Marshmallow Root

Add 3.05 lbs of Orange Blossom honey to carboy (SG ~1.12)
Add 1 TBSP Fermaid O (~10 grams) and 1/2 tsp K2CO3.
-Add another TBSP of Fermaid O at 1.08 & 1.04.
Add spiced tea.
Add water to 1/2 cup shy of gallon.
Stir vigorously to aerate/mix honey.
Add a starter of Wyeast 1388.

Post ferment
Step feed honey until the yeast give up, then FG is adjusted to balance to spices. Also, add the following:
1 vanilla bean
0.25 ounce Citra hops (dry hop)
3 cubes Med American Oak
3 cubes Med Hungarian Oak

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Since I'm going to be shamelessly stealing this recipe (hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?), I had two questions.

"Make a quart of strong tea with the spices below by adding off boil water and allow to stand until cool." I'm not sure I understand this. Is the end goal a quart of tea, or do you start with a quart and boil some off during the process? I assume that you strain out the spices. Do you have experience with powdered marshmallow root? It's all I've got on hand, though I could order chopped bits if need be.

How's the color looking? Post a picture, please!

It depends. I get the spices where I want them, then I adjust the sweetness to balance everything. It takes time and the ability to determine if it is the best it can be.

Day 46

Racked off the vanilla and lemongrass onto the following:
17 dried rose hips
4 cubes of medium toast American oak sterilized in 70% ethanol.

Day 87

This is the best mead I've made so far. Easily. I'm drinking the cleared dregs and it is sublime.

I can only describe it as soft. No roughness anywhere. Just a perfect melding of all the flavor a into one cohesive whole. Nothing fights, everything adds.

Make this mead!

I did! 12 lbs orange blossom honey, 5 lbs of acacia and counting. The hydrometer samples are... fantastic.

Back