Way too much Gypsum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriswebb101

Reaction score
I tried making a chocolate stout from a recipe I found online. However, I was not thinking and accidental added 2oz of Gypsum instead of 3tsp. I Dumped the whole package from my HBS in there.

Any chance this batch won't have to be dumped?

this is the recipe I used:
3tsp. Gypsum
6lbs. Amber Extract
1lbs. Roasted Barley
0.5lbs. Carastan Malt
0.5lbs. Black Malt
0.5lbs. Victoryn Malt
1oz. Golding Hops (bittering, ~45 minutes)
0.5oz. Goldings Hops (finishing/aroma, ~15 minutes)
1/2 teaspoon Irish Moss
Irish Ale Yeast
2.5lbs. dark chocolate chips, added in the last 15 minutes of the boil

56 grams is a whole lot of gypsum. for example, my last batch had 4 grams and i really wouldn't put much more than that.

good chance that it will have some water related off flavors. i wouldn't get my hopes up if i were you. sorry for the bad news.

Let's see, Gypsum ion concentrations are 61.5 ppm Ca+2 and 147.4ppm SO4- in 1 gram per gallon. 56 grams in 5 gallons is 10g per gallon which is past the saturation threshold of 2g per liter.

I guess your Ca2+ concentration around 600ppm and SO4- at around 1474ppm. I suspect this will have a significant impact on the beers flavor since the high calcium can impair fermentation and the high sulfate can be very astringent.

Is it even worth letting ferment and going through bottling process? I guess I'm wondering if it will be somewhat drinkable.

Is it even worth letting ferment and going through bottling process? I guess I'm wondering if it will be somewhat drinkable.

Pull a sample. If it tastes like crap then dump it.

Sorry to be blunt, but there is no way to condition this out. Blending would be a waste of time too, but it could be a fun experiment if you have the time to waste. I would say to cut your losses and be more careful next time.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back