Way too much foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedrodias

Reaction score
Somewhat new to brewing and brand new to the forum. I have probably brewed 20-30 batches of beer and have followed the same procedure for each. However, both a friend and I are having similar problems. I am using the same amount of priming sugar that I always have for bottling, but my last three batches have been way too foamy. If not chilled they will go crazy when I open the bottles. First time I just wrote it off to mis-measured priming sugar, but now I am wondering if it is something else. The only thing I may not be doing well enough (but I is what I have always done) is cleaning my bottles. Per someone else's advice I just rinse the bottles well 2 or 3 times with hot water after each use and I never drink out of them to avoid an bacteria from saliva. Is it possible that there is some residual sugar building up in my bottles and they all need to be super cleaned again? I thought the yeast would eat all available so there could not be any left. Why else could this just start happening out of the blue?

It sounds as though your beer has not completely fermented before it is bottled. This means once you bottle the yeast will ferment the priming solution and the remaining sugars creating more CO2 than desired. The cure would be to take a hydrometer reading after about a week of fermentation and see if the beer has reached its final gravity. Only once the beer has properly fermented should you bottle.

Residual sugar stuck in there? I doubt it. Even with a few good rinses with hot water and it will clean all the sugar out. When you prime your beer you are trapping CO2 in the beer. If the beer is warmer the Co2 will more readily escape from it and foam alot more then normal. Just chill your beer and it should be ok. Be careful taking the caps off too. I found that if I just pop them quick I get alot more head on the beer then if I ease it off.

I may be missing something fairly big, but I have never even used a hydrometer. I just wait until the bubbling stops on top to the fermentor. I thought that told you when it was done. Now a guess you see why I need the forum. I have been wandering in the darkness for about a year now. With that said, though, I have been brewing great beer until now. Guess I got more to learn. Thanks

Yeah there is no reason that your beer would not of been great until now. If your not using a hydrometer you cannon be sure that fermentation is done. You can have many problems that would cause your bubbling to stop(crack in your seal on your bucket, bad gromet on your airlock). With hydrometer readings you can be sure that it has stopped. and hell. a hydrometer is only $7

Yeah there is no reason that your beer would not of been great until now. If your not using a hydrometer you cannon be sure that fermentation is done.

Something change? House is the same temp? You didn't' just kick the AC on for the summer and now you're fermenting 10 degrees cooler? That could cause slowed ferment, and now it's finishing in the bottles? Seems odd that you AND your Bud would be having the same issue. Double check your routine, look at the things that are not that obvious.

Back