Way too Bitter?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
I brewed up this Black Ipa today and I think it might turn out too bitter, but I'm not sure. What do you all think? Recipe below. Thanks!

Eon Black IPA
OG:1.064
Mash: 60 minute mash at 148 F
Sparge: 2 gallons @ 168 F

Boil Volume: 4 gallons

6 lbs. Pale 2-row
9.6 ounces crystal 40
4.8 ounces Midnight Wheat
2.5 ounces Chocolate malt

0.5 oz magnum @ 60 minutes
0.5 equinox@ 30 minutes
0.5 equinox @ 15 minutes
0.5 mosaic @ 15 minutes
0.5 el dorado @ 5 minutes
0.5 mosaic @ 5 minutes
0.5 el dorado @ flameout
0.5 Falconer’s Flight @ flameout
1.5 oz. Falconer’s flight [170 F whirlpool]

Yeast: Safale US-05

Woah! Im got somewhere in the ballpark of 100 IBU's when I ran your recipe. And your malt schedule is probably a little too light on the darker malts for a black IPA IMO. But yes, I would probably say a little too bitter. Maybe not for a imperial Black IPA, but for an IPA clocking in at only 1.064 it may be a little too bitter. But some of the malty roasty characteristics of the choco malt may hide that. Guess only time will tell

You were warned ;)

But, seriously, don't judge bitterness from an OG sample.
There's a lot going on there that won't be around at packaging.

I do a lot of hopped-up brews and some 100+ IBU face-rippers, and don't even bother tasting what's going into the fermenter...

Cheers!

I've made some IPAs coming in at 80-90 IBUs and they don't taste bitter at all to me.

Either my palate has totally changed (which I'm sure it has to some extent) or when there's a good balance there's not much bitterness.

I'd brew it. I can't even remember the last time I had a bitter IPA. Homebrewed or store bought.

More IBUs please!!!

EDIT:

I'm planning to brew the pliny the toddler recipe and that comes in at 70 IBUs with 8.5lbs of grain.

Your wort tasted bitter before fermentation?

That's very odd, I've never seen or heard of an unfermented wort be anything but overly sweet.

I made a Pliny the Elder clone that registered around 200ish IBU on beersmith. It was actually not bitter, and all the flavors mellowed out really well. An addition of dryhopping really added to the hop aroma and flavor, without bittering it up more. I highly suggest dry-hopping, some of the aromas could help.

I should note, pretty much all I brew are IPA's and they are usually 80+, so maybe my taste buds were just used to it!

My last IPA had 15oz in total and its not too bitter. My mom tried it and enjoyed it, she doesnt even drink beer. Its all about the timing of the additions. My rule fo thumb: do 1oz of something high alpha at 60min, maybe 1 oz at 10min, then nothing else until the flame is out. After that, go nuts. I've found you cant overdue post boil additions. This gets you a gigantic punch in the face of hop character with a clean finish on your palette. One guy at a show over the weekend told me I redefined what a black IPA could be to him

If you have a beer that's to bitter brew another beer that's really low in bitterness and blend them. One time I combined a black ipa with a milk stout to create a unique but tasty beer.

Back