Way To Much Campden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothyap

Reaction score
Gee's, what an idiot I am..

I'm so use to using tablets, 1 tablet per gallon.

I started using the powder, should only use 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons.

I added 1/4 tsp per gallon.

5 - 1/4 tsp per 5 gallon carboy.

Did it to 6 carboys.

What going to happen and what should I do...
"WHAT AN IDIOT"

Well, Not sure long it would take for it to gas out, but it might. Since you added enough for 30 gallons, that might take a bit. Maybe stick an air stone and air pump in it for two days. Too bad you did it to all of them, otherwise combine and call it good in a day.

At what stage in the process did you add the campden?

Did it to 6 carboys.

"WHAT AN IDIOT"

At what stage in the process did you add the campden?
I was going to bottle next week, SG on all of them is around .999 to 1.010, the 1.010 has not changed in about 10 days so I was going to get it all bottled up, then my screw up.

Maybe I could de-gas 2-3 times a day,, Not sure,,, Just Thinking with the keyboard.

Last edited:
I was going to bottle next week, SG on all of them is around .999 to 1.010, the 1.010 has not changed in about 10 days so I was going to get it all bottled up, then my screw up.
Maybe I could de-gas 2-3 times a day,, Not sure,,, Just Thinking with the keyboard.

Wow, at the finishing, do not add any oxygen! The recommended steps are for the beginning while sanitizing the must. It’ll come out on its own but it’ll need degassing or surface area (headspace) to get the sulfur gases out.

Wow, at the finishing, do not add any oxygen! The recommended steps are for the beginning while sanitizing the must. It’ll come out on its own but it’ll need degassing or surface area (headspace) to get the sulfur gases out.
+1
Take regular samples and when you can't taste/smell the sulfite any more, it's time to bottle.

I degassed 1 last night, this morning It was much better, maybe just a very small hint of sulfur.

Should I Put The Air Lock Back On Right Away After Degassing ??

Thanks

Did it to 6 carboys.

"WHAT AN IDIOT"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of today, there are no weird taste or flavors in the wine, will bottle next week.

Thanks for the help.
Tim

Most of it is just a dissolved gas, not all, a vacuum pump will pull the disdolved part out. The rest will come out eventually.
I think I understand the basics.
"Sulfite" is present:
partly as the sulfite ion SO3 2-
mostly as the bisulfite ion HSO3 -
and only a very small portion as molecular SO2

Equilibrium-between-molecular-bisulfite-and-sulfite-forms-of-sulfur-dioxide-in-wine.png

Bisulfite boiling point is well above what would be achievable at room temp with a vacuum pump (599°F at standard pressure).

This is where I'm having trouble:
Even if lower pressure helps remove the SO2 rapidly (does it?), in what timeframe would you expect this to even remove half of the free sulfite/bisulfite? Would the SO2 in solution not reach equilibrium with the SO2 in the headspace, limiting the removal?

Chemistry!

Last edited:

I just seen this post, am I doing something wrong with the wine?
I just checked SG and nothing has changed as far as that,
Been degasing once a day and seem to be very little sulfur left, I slowly agitate trying to not introducing oxgen,
very few gas bubbles show up at top, flavor is smooth and very favorable,

Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and learning..

Thanks
T:confused:

My post was saying don’t do the splash and aerate it, that’s for if you did it in the beginning before pitching yeast. As long as your doing it gently to degas it, your fine

Back