Wax on bottles?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonTail

Reaction score
I have a few bottles from New Glarus that have wax on them, Belgian Red and a Raspberry Tart.
In the past, when I soak them in PBW and hot water to take the lables off, the wax doesn't really come off completely.
This time before I clean them I will be scraping as much of the wax off that I can, but I'm just wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how to remove the rest.
Thanks,
Cheers, :mug:

Try one of those Mr Clean magic sponges. They work for cleaning crayon off of things.

If you're going to try heat I would suggest a propane torch - no blackening carbon like the candle.

I just openend the Raspberry Tart and was able to get most of it off by getting "under" the wax and slowly going around the bottle "lifting" along the way. After that a little hot water and light rubbing took the rest off. I think the cold bottle helped in the first place and then the heat loosened up the stuff that was left enough just to "slide" it off.
If I have any problems on other waxed bottles I might try the Mr. Clean sponges.
Thanks, :rockin:

After getting most of it off, a petroleum based solvent like lacquer thinner would probably dissolve the rest. Allow it to dry, rinse well, and you're on your way.

Try placing the empty bottle in the freezer for a few hours. My wife sells Princess House and her mom sells Party Lite, both of whom recommend this procedure for removing old wax from glass/crystal holders.

It usually just pops right out. ;)

Back