Fruit Beer watermelon wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy was just telling me about a watermelon beer he had in California called Hell or High Watermelon. Does anyone know if this recipe compares?

The post just above this one said they were very close in a side by side tasting. I have not had both at the same time to say how close they are so I can only take other peoples words for it.

I think I am going to try this in a kolsch. S05 yeast, 21.1 IBUs (Magnum & Tett).

I'm interested in the LorAnn oils...you say 1 dram in 5 gal. That's a tiny bit in 5 gal! It's really that concentrated? So 2 drams for 10 gal, right?

Also, I have easy access at an LHBS to the LiquorQuik essences, so would that be 2 - 1 ounce bottles for 10 gal?

15# 2-row
2# munich 20
1# extra light DME
8 oz. American wheat
.5 oz Magnum @ 60
1 oz Tett @ 15
1 oz Tett @ 10
1 oz. Tett @ 5
SafAle s-05
Watermelon juice/oil/essence
Mash @ 155*
Primary @ 65*
Secondary @ 70*
Bottle condition @ 72*

Sound like a winner?

I think I am going to try this in a kolsch. S05 yeast, 21.1 IBUs (Magnum & Tett).

I'm interested in the LorAnn oils...you say 1 dram in 5 gal. That's a tiny bit in 5 gal! It's really that concentrated? So 2 drams for 10 gal, right?

Also, I have easy access at an LHBS to the LiquorQuik essences, so would that be 2 - 1 ounce bottles for 10 gal?

15# 2-row
2# munich 20
1# extra light DME
8 oz. American wheat
.5 oz Magnum @ 60
1 oz Tett @ 15
1 oz Tett @ 10
1 oz. Tett @ 5
SafAle s-05
Watermelon juice/oil/essence
Mash @ 155*
Primary @ 65*
Secondary @ 70*
Bottle condition @ 72*

Sound like a winner?

I have never thought about doing it this way but that may be a great idea. Please post back and let me know how the results turn out for you.

I have not done it with just the jolly ranchers. I have always used juice and jolly ranchers but im sure that the jolly ranchers alone would probably work well.

Hell yea! im glad you guys are liking this beer so much. its a great summer beer for sure. I wish I could edit my original post and update the recipe with the allgrain recipe but it wont let me

I think I'm going to make this my next brew. My wife had Hell or High Watermelon on our recent trip to Cali and she loved it.

Can someone post the most recent, or popular recipe version?

I'm also intrigued about carbing with the jolly ranchers. I bet that adds quite a nice flavor.

Here is the recipe I have been using the most. If you need the extract version I can convert it for you. I have also been using 1056 yeast in it more than any wheat yeast.

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.00
Anticipated OG: 1.048
Anticipated SRM: 5.5
Anticipated IBU: 13.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.041 SG 10.14 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.6 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
5.6 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
5.6 0.50 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18
33.3 3.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
50.0 4.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.25 oz. Perle Pellet 8.25 9.2 60 min.
0.25 oz. Perle Pellet 8.25 2.5 15 min.
0.25 oz. Perle Pellet 8.25 1.5 5 min.

Yeast
-----

Here is the recipe I have been using the most. If you need the extract version I can convert it for you. I have also been using 1056 yeast in it more than any wheat yeast.

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Grain/Extract/Sugar

Hops

Yeast
-----

Thanks, AG is perfect.

I do have a couple of questions though.

What type of watermelon juice are you using? Making it yourself? ( I hope not, since watermelon season is gone here)

Are people carbing with just jolly ranchers, and no additional sugar? What about kegging? Has anyone put a bunch of jolly ranchers in the keg to carb that way?

Thanks, this looks like a winner!

I am using real watermellon juice so that may be a problem. It was made by jucing a mellon and straining off the pulp.

Carbing with the jolly ranchers requieres no extra sugar just one jolly rancher per bottle. I dont know if anybody has tried to keg carb it with jolly ranchers yet but I dont see any reason it wouldnt work.

ben the brewman said:

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Grain/Extract/Sugar

Hops

Yeast
-----

I would love to see the extract version as I'm still in experienced with all grain.

Also, the jolly rancher idea is brilliant.

The extract version is exactly the same except drop the wheat and two row and use 4.5 lbs of wheat dme or 6 lbs of wheat lme.

For everybody wanting to make this still I found watermelon juice in a half gallon size at kroger! I didnt look much into it but they did have it. In my store it was back in the open refrigerated section with the yougurt and stuff like that.

Has anyone made this using extracts or flavorings? Since I can't really get watermelons right now and I have never seen watermelon juice in the store around here I am considering using this.

4 OZ. NATURAL WATERMELON (no air shipment) @ Williams Brewing

I think the flavor and aroma would be fine but the final beer would probably be lacking the extra sweetness that comes from the actual juice.

Has anyone made this using extracts or flavorings? Since I can't really get watermelons right now and I have never seen watermelon juice in the store around here I am considering using this.

I think the flavor and aroma would be fine but the final beer would probably be lacking the extra sweetness that comes from the actual juice.

I dont see a problem using the flavoring. It will probably make it a bit more candy like in the flavor and aroma.

I dont see a problem using the flavoring. It will probably make it a bit more candy like in the flavor and aroma.

I just did a watermelon kolsch (now in secondary) using the LD Carlson extract. BEWARE: this stuff is STRONG! As soon as I pulled the bung on the carboy, the whole garage smelled like jolly ranchers. The flavor was very good on the front, but VERY astringent on the finish. The astringency seems to settle out over time, but I still wound up blending with a second batch I made for exactly that situation. When it carbs up, it should be fairly smooth, but that's after I added 3.5 gallons of un-treated beer to the 6.5 gallons of beer that had extract added to it, and have had it in secondary for about a month.

LD Carlson calls for 4 oz in 5 gallons. I used 3 oz. in 6.5 gallons, and it was too much.

The next time I think I will use natural watermelon juice to try and avoid the tongue-slap on the back end of the beer.

I'm gonna try this one out on Sunday with the wyeast 1010 and some hbc hops from the LHBS. Can't wait to taste this one in a couple months!:D

Hey Y'all,

Thanks for posting this recipe Ben! I am a new brewer, and am more excited about this beer than any other that I have brewed. I have this recipe in primary fermentation right now (used US-05 yeast), and should be ready to add the watermelon juice sometime between thursday and sunday. What is everyones opinion about adding the watermelon juice into the primary fermenter (ale pale) instead of racking on top of it? I have a 5 gallon glass carboy for secondaries, but i am afraid that i won't have enough head space in there once the juice is added. I'm thinking about adding the juice into the Ale Pale, letting it ferment a few more days, and then racking into secondary. Would this cause any issues? I also have my jolly ranchers ready for priming - i'm ready to drink this on a nice warm day!

Thanks!
:mug:
JDY

Hey Y'all,

Thanks for posting this recipe Ben! I am a new brewer, and am more excited about this beer than any other that I have brewed. I have this recipe in primary fermentation right now (used US-05 yeast), and should be ready to add the watermelon juice sometime between thursday and sunday. What is everyones opinion about adding the watermelon juice into the primary fermenter (ale pale) instead of racking on top of it? I have a 5 gallon glass carboy for secondaries, but i am afraid that i won't have enough head space in there once the juice is added. I'm thinking about adding the juice into the Ale Pale, letting it ferment a few more days, and then racking into secondary. Would this cause any issues? I also have my jolly ranchers ready for priming - i'm ready to drink this on a nice warm day!

Thanks!
:mug:
JDY

You should be just fine doing it the way your talking about. Just try and make sure that the biggest part of the primary fermentation is over with before you added it. Let me know how it turns out for you!

I'm gonna try this one out on Sunday with the wyeast 1010 and some hbc hops from the LHBS. Can't wait to taste this one in a couple months!:D

The 1010 yeast comes out pretty good in this beer but it can have a little bit of sulfur to it. I like it because it stays cloudy and gives it that wheat beer look that lots of people recognize. I think I have decided that I like it with 1056 and wb06 the most but thats just me.

Hey thanks for the tip ben! I have always got that clove and banana a bit from the wb06 and didnt want to take the chance on it with the watermelon. hope it's still tasty

Ive made quite a few Watermelon batches of different variations of LME / DME / hops ranging from 5% - 14% ABV and used 4 oz of the extract per a 5 gallon batch and not a SINGLE person who has tried has said one negative thing. Ive taking batch out to music festivals and camp outs and such. Well over 100 people have tried it. Granted these arent homebrewers, but its still the most requested beer Ive made. My .02

Ive made quite a few Watermelon batches of different variations of LME / DME / hops ranging from 5% - 14% ABV and used 4 oz of the extract per a 5 gallon batch and not a SINGLE person who has tried has said one negative thing. Ive taking batch out to music festivals and camp outs and such. Well over 100 people have tried it. Granted these arent homebrewers, but its still the most requested beer Ive made. My .02

Yea they are very requested beers. I have served this at many festivals and had nothing but great comments so I think that's a good sign.

Hey thanks for the tip ben! I have always got that clove and banana a bit from the wb06 and didnt want to take the chance on it with the watermelon. hope it's still tasty

Ill have to check my notes but I think it was the wb06. It had a nice slight tart character to it that I really liked.

I was thinking about adding the Jolly Ranchers during secondary. My thoughts are, rack the beer on the watermelon juice for a week or two and then add Jolly Ranchers (after the watermelon color has faded from the beer) to the secondary and let it sit for another week or two. Then Keg it. Any thoughts?

I was thinking about adding the Jolly Ranchers during secondary. My thoughts are, rack the beer on the watermelon juice for a week or two and then add Jolly Ranchers (after the watermelon color has faded from the beer) to the secondary and let it sit for another week or two. Then Keg it. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a plan. Go for it man.

Hey Ben - Like the recipe pal, I'm doing an AG batch of it in about 10 days. Tweaked a few things here and there, I'll be using harvested Bells yeast which will go great for this style.

Question: Do you see any cons to simply adding the watermelon juice straight into my keg and racking on top of it, skipping the secondary? I slow carb, so the beer/juice will be marinating together in the keg for 2 weeks before I tap it..thoughts?

If your gonna be kegging it I dont think there should be any problems. When I started doing this recipe I was only bottling and had to let it ferment out fully.

Brewed this couple days ago and realized I forgot the honey. Is that something I can add with watermelon juice or just see how it turns out without?

Brewed this couple days ago and realized I forgot the honey. Is that something I can add with watermelon juice or just see how it turns out without?

To me, I think it will be better w/out the honey, IMO. If anything, .5lb to 1lb of honey malt is what I'd do

Its been two weeks since brew day. I pulled some off my fermenter and this stuff is pretty cloudy. It almost looks like coffee. Any one else have this same issue? I'm racking to secondary tonight, in the hopes that it will help clear it up

Dont worry about it. I have been using honey malt in place of the honey any way just to save money. You will be just fine as is.

Its been two weeks since brew day. I pulled some off my fermenter and this stuff is pretty cloudy. It almost looks like coffee. Any one else have this same issue? I'm racking to secondary tonight, in the hopes that it will help clear it up

I have made this beer more times than I can remember and its never that cloudy. If I use wheat yeast its cloudy but no more than a heffe is. Rack it to secondary and leave it sit for a bit. what yeast did you use in it?

ben the brewman said:
I have made this beer more times than I can remember and its never that cloudy. If I use wheat yeast its cloudy but no more than a heffe is. Rack it to secondary and leave it sit for a bit. what yeast did you use in it?

I wither used American wheat or American hefe. I can't remember. I racked to secondary yesterday. I plan to let it stay there for two weeks

I did 2 batches of a similar recipe with different yeast strains. 3068 and 3056 I think. I had this same thing happen I think with the 3056 yeast....does it look like a cup of coffee with too much cream???

Once my gravity hit, I cold crashed it to drop the yeast out. Once it dropped, it cleared up nice. Just took a while compared to the other yeast

I did 2 batches of a similar recipe with different yeast strains. 3068 and 3056 I think. I had this same thing happen I think with the 3056 yeast....does it look like a cup of coffee with too much cream???

Once my gravity hit, I cold crashed it to drop the yeast out. Once it dropped, it cleared up nice. Just took a while compared to the other yeast

Yes! It looked just like a cup of coffee with too much cream... Ive racked to secondary and added the watermelon juice. I don't have a way to cold crash it. Here is hoping the yeast drops on its own

Back