Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your tap water has a lot of alkalinity, you should consider using RO water. At a minimum, you have to remove all the chlorine compounds or you will have band-aidy, chlorophenols in your beer. Not good.

Until you develop a want it a need to start playing with your water chemistry and such I would just use water out of a machine at your local gas station or supermarket. For a batch it is like 3 dollars for me but I am getting 10 gallons of water for all grain

I use local spring water, both from Ohio that is, even though one's from Giant Eagle & the other's from White House Artisian Springs. The later is 25c per gallon. RO water is good too.

If you are using liquid extract, your tap water is probably fine. If you want to make a better beer you can get aquapure or prima water at any walmart. Here where I live the cost is $7 deposit for the 5.5 gallon jug and $.69 per gallon for the water. It is RO water. It makes really fine beer. So for $11 you get your water and your fermenter.

Even with extract brewing, if the tap water is too alkaline, it can end up pushing the wort pH up higher than desirable and that can lead to dull flavor and harsh bitterness.

Check that alkalinity!

Back