Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemorgan

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed a million times, however how should I tackle the water issue of what to use for my first brew? Dead Ringer IPA.

Others might have something else to say but my advice is to keep your first brew simple and just use bottled water.

Do you have city water? well water?

+1 to starting with some bottled spring water (not distilled!). Takes one more variable out of your first brew. As you get a couple more brews under your belt, you can decide whether tap water works for you.

Tap water typically needs some sort of treatment for chlorine and/or chloramine in order to avoid off flavors.

Without water reports, any water supply is a gamble. No safe bets. But unless you're going to take water chemistry 101 which I'm in the process of learning, and so far it's the least fun aspect of brewing, then simply go with whatever you drink at home.

City water, but we use the big bottles of poland spring to drink. I heard something about using 1/2 city water and 1/2 distilled, any thoughts?

I'd just go with 100% of the poland spring to start. Mixing city water (which most likely has chlorine and/or chloramine like I mentioned above) could potentially contribute off flavors to your beer if not treated properly.

Only reason I keep saying all bottled spring water for your first batch is because this removes the water as a potential variable if there's any off flavors, and because 6 or 7 gallons isn't that expensive.

After you get comfortable with your process and are willing to do a little research on your city's water profile and what it will take to treat it, then go with the treated city water.

If you are using bottled water make sure its spring water and not distilled. Distilled water has no dissolved minerals or "hardness".

Do we know if the OP is making an extract batch? If it is extract, then my belief was you are fine to go with distilled water. If all grain or other method, than probably stick with the spring water.

Do we know if the OP is making an extract batch? If it is extract, then my belief was you are fine to go with distilled water. If all grain or other method, than probably stick with the spring water.

I believe this to be true also.

I would say that spring water is acceptable in both instances, though you're most likely correct that OP is probably making an extract batch, in which case distilled water isn't a bad choice either, since extract tends to have the minerals from the wort included AFAIK.

Back