Water Treatment in South Jersey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eoin

Reaction score
Is there anyone on the forum that is based in the South Jersey area near Collingswood who can share the way they treat tap water for all grain brewing?

I can ask a friend I have in that area. In Cedarville where I grew up (just outside millville) there was no need to treat at all. Our well water was great.

You can try starting by getting a water report.

You just want to get the chlorine out of your water. A good rule of thumb is if you can taste it, then you should filter it. I am from south jersey and have not had a problem with my water at all.

But if you are worried about, i went to home depot/lowes and picked up a charcoal filter and put a hose fitting on one end and then put some clear hose on the out line and filter it that way. Doesn't take much of the minerals out of the water and it does remove the chlorine taste out. Plus the filter lasts a long time. Only need to replace the charcoal filter inside the thing about once a year. Then again, the replacing of the charcoal is based around how much you brew.

Hope that helps

Thanks. I grabbed the report. This will be my first all grain batch and I didn't want to make any big changes to my water except for filtering, unless there was something that really stuck out as a problem.

I think the water in our area is pretty boring but just in case I wanted some insight. I attached the latest report in case anyone would like to offer any tips/guidance.

image-3851843136.jpg

In case the image stinks from being uploaded from my phone, here is the link to the PDF: http://www.collingswood.com/files/174/2011/05/2011 Annual Water Quality Report.pdf

Thanks for any help.

Back