water testing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HansF

Reaction score
Had my water analyzed here at work. Gave them samples straight from the kitchen tap and also filtered using our new Pur filter. Here are the findings:

Hardness (unfiltered): 250ppm, filtered: 200ppm

Chlorine (unfiltered): 0.7ppm, filtered: 0ppm

pH (unfiltered) 7.75ppm, filtered: 7.93

My last few brews I have been using bottled spring water to see what a difference (if any) it would make. Jury is still out.

Any thoughts?

This is not enough information to tell us anything except that your water is hard and, therefore, presumably alkaline but we can't tell how much of the hardness is temporary and how much permanent i.e. how alkaline it is. Probably quite alkaline and not, therefore, generally suited to brewing.

That the harndesses were measured at 200 and 250 says that the hardness test was probably a very crude one with a test strip. The pre and post filtered hardnesses were probably the same as there is nothing in a Pur filter that I am aware of that would change the hardness or the pH for that matter. Bottled water has the potential to give you much better beer depending on the bottled water. A large proportion of it is simply bottled tap water. Where I live in Quebec the bottled water sold in the stores is just as bad as the water from my well.

Back