Water Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgraham602

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use gallon jugs of RO water, that typically are stored in my garage. right now the temp swings between mid 80s during the day and 70s at night. Is it ok to store water in gallon jugs in this condition? Can't imagine it would have any affect, but was just wondering.

I can't imagine it would have any adverse affect on the water... I'm sure the jugs that are shipped to supermarkets are stored in much hotter conditions than that during summer months.

I don't know, ever leave a water bottle in your car for a week? I would just store one or two until you know you're not pulling any plastic flavor out of your containers.

I don't know, ever leave a water bottle in your car for a week? I would just store one or two until you know you're not pulling any plastic flavor out of your containers.

Cars can get over 115 degrees on a 90 degree day... I don't see there being an issue with 10 degree swings between 70 and 80. I know a lot of people who store bottles of water in their garage without ill effects.

Extraction is merely sped up at high temperatures, at least those present in cars. I would expect some flavor pickup at cooler temperatures on a longer time scale, but we also don't know what plastics we're talking about here.

Back