Water Report plus new to adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg83

Reaction score
Hello homebrewers!

I am very new into the world of water treatment. I just downloaded a copy of my local water report and the numbers have a pretty wide range. For example.

Magnesium Low value .74 High value 13.04 Average 4.38

Chloride Low value 3.8 High value 164 Average 27.3

calcium Low value 2.9 High value 50.9 Average 19.3

sodium Low value 3.7 High value 83.3 Average 13.7

sulfate Low value ND High value 28.9 Average 11.7

alkanity total Low value ND High value 114 Average 47.4

I live in Long Island NY and think my water changes periodically so would it be foolish to order a test kit from ward labs since I have the report handy or are these numbers too off to get an accurate reading? My first beer I played around with was a robust porter. I used easy water calculator and seemed like I had to add a decent amount of salts to get the water right using filtered tap water. Still havent tried the porter since its fermenting away.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I would consider that a basically unusable water report. Some of the values are okay, such as calcium - you could shoot for an addition that adds 40 ppm because it would then end up anywhere from 43 to 91 ppm, i.e. reasonable.

But sodium... a high of 83? That's extreme. Chloride too, at 164. The max value is way too high to confidently add any CaCl. The alkalinity is a major factor in brewing water, and the range you have (based on the mineral ranges) also makes it impractical to formulate additions.

At least that would be my take on it. You can always just try brewing without any additions and see how different styles of beer turn out. Or try using only gypsum to hit Ca of 50 ppm based on the reported starting average of 19 ppm; this will also raise SO4 which is already at a reasonable lowish level, and will probably lower pH to a decent spot. But it's guesswork with the ranges.

Thanks for the response mcknuckle! I've only brewed once treating the water and Am curious to see how it comes out. Ive been brewing for years and have been happy with the results but there always seems to be a harsh bitterness that fades with time and I really get minima hop flavor and aromas in my IPAs so I figured I'd try water adjustments since I'm pretty confident in every other area.

These numbers were taken over 500 readings and given an average. I would love to get a true report but I feel my water changes constantly so it would be a waste. If I'm mistaken please advise and I'll get a report :)

I'm on Long Island too and can only get my water report with ranges like that. Doesn't seem to be too helpful. Am looking to send out a sample but waiting for my landlord to install a water filter soon. Have about 12 brews under my belt and have just been adding gypsum at the start of the boil. Getting into testing pH too now.

...there always seems to be a harsh bitterness that fades with time and I really get minima hop flavor and aromas in my IPAs

That bitterness in a pale beer is a classic sign of a high mash pH (from residual alkalinity). Amelioration with a modest amount of gypsum should take care of that. It might also help stabilize the hop attributes, although oxidation can cause rapid diminishment of hop goodness as well.

Sounds like a recipe for using RO water and building it up. If you can't have confidence the water you're using remains reasonably consistent, you're going to be unable to repeat batches that turn out.

Back