Water quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-ta-sauraus

Reaction score
so I emailed my water company for a water profile and all they were able to procide is the below info. Any thing I need to chnage bsaed on the little info they provided below?

pH 7.35

TDS 191 mg/L

Sodium 48.8 mg/L

Hardness 78.6 mg/L (check the website however for the latest 30 day average that is updated at the end of each week).

Nitrate 0.19 mg/L

Phosphorus 0.14 mg/L

Iron 0.26 mg/L

Still not enough info, I'd say. Try asking specifically for Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfate, Carbonate and bicarbonate. These are typical minerals that they should know.

No dice water co sent me an e-mail saying if I needed any more info that the above I would need to sedn to a lab for analisis.

Take a look at Ward Labs. For $16.50 get the W6 Household Mineral Test. That's sufficient for brewing needs. For $10 more you can get the W5 Complete Household Mineral Test. It includes everything that's in the W6 test but it also includes iron and fluoride, if those are of concern.

very interesting. Many people send their actual H20 off for testing?

very interesting. Many people send their actual H20 off for testing?

I get the impression that they do. I did. People ask about it on the forums all the time, and it's really the only way to be sure. I think I've posted that link to Ward Labs a thousand times over the years, LOL!

Also, municipal water supplies can change their sources over the course of the year. In my area there are several reservoirs they draw from so I sent several samples to Ward's over the course of a couple of years just to get an overall picture of my water. Time has proven that my water is very consistent, even from the multiple sources they draw from.

I told my water company I needed to know my parts per million of ca, so4 caco3, mg, cl, na, etc for my tap water for my brewery and they were incredibly helpful, actually so helpful I was shocked lol, they emailed my and called me via cellphone and text me with answers and who I could contact to get that info.

Back