Water profile testing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBailey

Reaction score
As many do, I use a charcoal filter to remove the chlorine from my brewing water. Was wondering if samples sent to Ward Labs should be right out of the tap or filtered as you normally would.

I know my PH drops from 7.0 to 6.75 when filtered and wondered if some beneficial minerals might also be filtered out. My last 2 batches were brewed with unfiltered tap water just to see if there is any perceivable difference.

Bob

As many do, I use a charcoal filter to remove the chlorine from my brewing water. Was wondering if samples sent to Ward Labs should be right out of the tap or filtered as you normally would.

I know my PH drops from 7.0 to 6.75 when filtered and wondered if some beneficial minerals might also be filtered out. My last 2 batches were brewed with unfiltered tap water just to see if there is any perceivable difference.

Bob

Right out of the tap. Unless, you are on a well and use a salt softener system. If so, take you water pre-filter system.

As a follow-up, the first beer I brewed without filtered water turned out great. It was the same recipe as the previous batch, a 7.2%, 91 IBU IPA hopped throughout with a blend of Citra, Cluster and Willamette. There was a noticeable improvement in both hop and malt flavor and aroma. think I'll wait for a few more batches and then decide if I even need to get water tests.

Thanks for your reply.

Bob

Back