water profile question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker111

Reaction score
Brewing the 3 crops creme ale I found here. I usually add my salts to my tap water and also use spring water. This is a light beer with a 90 min mash and boil and should finish crisp. The spring water has the following numbers as per label. Ca 63, Mg 18, Na 11, K 1, SO4 45, Cl 13, HCO3 180, NO3 0.4

I usually use spring water with small additions for mash and tap water with lactic acid for sparging for various beers and have been playing with the numbers for some time and know a program would help with this.

How does this spring water seem for this creme ale? Would you still add/subtract any additions? I can use all spring water for the mash as this grain bill is low and can use tap or spring for sparge water. Never used this spring water before so hence asking questions now.
Thanks

Spring water is almost always a poor source for brewing water if used untreated . This water is a case in point. Too much Alkalinity. The water is okay in many respects, but the alkalinity must be neutralized for a pale beers like cream ale.

In case that's too subtle ;) give Martin's "Bru'n Water" a try (use the link he provided).
Yes, that water can be used for a light beer like Cream Of Three Crops. It just takes "water knowlege" :)

Start with the first sheet as it is highly informative on both how to use the tool and why you want to. Take heed of the directions as it'll cut the learning curve down "bigly", then plug in your spring water metrics, input your grain bill, pick a style (I suggest "yellow balanced" for "Co3C") and use the additions guidance to go from there.

You'll no doubt need some palatable form of acid to knock that alkalinity down but it can be done without compromising quality (to that end I suggest using phosphoric acid - the same stuff used in most colas)...

Cheers!

Thanks so much. I use LA but will pick up some PA type acid also. Also use capden tablets in my water. I will look into the Bnwater MArtin suggestion. Do I just do a search here?

Hi again. At this for a few hours now and looks like I am LOW in Na, SO4, Cl and my HCO3 is way to high. ( 148ppm) Problem is I don't see additions as I keep getting a water report unbalanced.
Any advice? Sorry to trouble you.

Back