Water profile for IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
Plan on brewing an IPA next weekend,first time messing with salts.How does fhis profile look? Any critique,be it good or bad,is appreciated.All readings are ppm.
Calcium 104-
magnesium25
sodium 5
sulfate 240
chloride 44

Last edited:
I was hoping to see replies from experienced brewers. We treated our extremely soft city water and achieved this profile for our 3rd and 4th IPA brews. (We noticed a real taste difference for the better)
Calcium 132
Magnesium 28
Sodium 6
Sulfate 328
Chloride 66

Are you going for a more west coast ipa. Both profiles above would accentuate a more aggressive bitterness. Is that what your going for?

The profile in the first post is fine! I tend to go lighter on sulfate, but that's personal preference. No way would I go over 300 ppm though, so I wouldn't go with the second profile at all. Keep the magnesium under about 25 ppm in most cases (a higher one can work with some IPAs but there can be a bit of a sour note to it), so your magnesium there is fine.

Calcium of 80 ppm or so, up to 100 ppm, and sulfate 150-300 ppm would be a good bet for west coast style IPAs.

For most of mine, I go with 150 ppm of sulfate.

Shoot for a mash pH of about 5.35-5.4 and you'll be all set.

I enjoy the taste of some drywall (gyp board, plaster board, sheet rock) in my IPA, so I use sulfate up to 400.

Thanks for the feedback. On our next IPA, we'll cut back a bit on the Calcium Sulfate. This will bring our profile closer to blkandrust's profile. We'll compare a bottle of the new with the old and see if we can detect a difference!

Back