Water Profile for an American Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I've been using RO with the following "all around" mineral addition: 1 gram epsom salts, 2.5 grams gypsum, 2 grams calcium chloride, which yields -- Calcium 60 ppm, Sulfates 94 ppm, Magnesium 5 ppm, Chloride 51 ppm (~210 ppm total).

Works fine for all the 12+ SRM brews I've done, but am wondering how it'd work for an American Pale. Too much, too light, just right? FYI I do use buffer 5.2, so am not so much concerned about mash pH

If you use 5.2 then you shouldn't need to do anything different to it. Correct mash pH is the main goal and with 5.2 you should have that. If you want to adjust the flavor then mess with different amounts of Gypsum and CaCl to adjust the SO4:Cl ratio. Higher SO4:lower Cl for crispness and accentuated hop bitterness...lower SO4:higher Cl for fullness and smoother bitterness.

If you use 5.2 then you shouldn't need to do anything different to it. Correct mash pH is the main goal and with 5.2 you should have that. If you want to adjust the flavor then mess with different amounts of Gypsum and CaCl to adjust the SO4:Cl ratio. Higher SO4:lower Cl for crispness and accentuated hop bitterness...lower SO4:higher Cl for fullness and smoother bitterness.

Excellent, thanks man. I think I'm going to roll with my tried and true "all arounder." It's worked thus far for everything I've thrown at it. And yeah, it's just a taste thing...pH isn't much of a concern for me with the 5.2.

Back