Water Pressure Transducer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some info from SCIENTECH BALANCES

There is no certificate of calibration included with any balance we sell since this can only occur at the place of installation. Every location in the world is positioned differently to "magnetic north" and therefore the acceleration of gravity is slightly different. Add to this barometric pressure effects the acceleration of gravity depending upon your location's altitude to sea level.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

So to me this says that they don't calibrate at the factory becuase the calibration would be off due to gravitational changes caused by your distance from the center of the earth. This also affects air. Which makes total sense.

Agree?

If you do agree than can we tie it into Klaus's statement, that after calibration barometric pressure should have no effect on the scale?

So how can we relate this back to the OP?

Whats the best route to go? From my experience in the food industy I will say that from the plants I have worked in, we have always used load cells. Like I said previously I've been having a hard time finding an economical solution for it.

Two metal rods may work, however, I am unfimilair with that solution. I understand the prinicipals, but in practice are there some things that would have to be taken into account? I would assume temperature would have an effect on the reading?

The pressure sensor appears to be what is being used by the automation guys, so probably has some good real world examples, with instructions that may be useful to the OP. Perhaps this is the best route due to the fact that it has been used often by this group and there is readily availbale help if needed.

I love to watch these "Flat Earth" discussions as they wander around the original post issue. The original question was about the use of a pressure sensor and PID for level control, which is the method of choice in industrial applications, load cells and scale transmitter second. The resistive approach and rotary encoders are virtually non existent because of inherent difficulty in setup, non standard outputs, and need for stilling well for float apparatus.
For the average brew system builder the pressure transducer approach is the easiest system to build successfully for the cost. Load cells require quite a bit of expensive electronics to operate, which are usually not long term stable, and seem to be always in need of zeroing before each use.
Having purchased, installed, and calibrated both types of measuring systems for various industrial customers, my preference is the simpler pressure approach.

I love to watch these "Flat Earth" discussions as they wander around the original post issue. The original question was about the use of a pressure sensor and PID for level control, which is the method of choice in industrial applications, load cells and scale transmitter second. The resistive approach and rotary encoders are virtually non existent because of inherent difficulty in setup, non standard outputs, and need for stilling well for float apparatus.
For the average brew system builder the pressure transducer approach is the easiest system to build successfully for the cost. Load cells require quite a bit of expensive electronics to operate, which are usually not long term stable, and seem to be always in need of zeroing before each use.
Having purchased, installed, and calibrated both types of measuring systems for various industrial customers, my preference is the simpler pressure approach.

Considering that the OP hasn't chimed in in a while, I hope that he already took this solution away from the thread and has moved on to researching the pressure route.

Anyone got a lead on a fairly inexpensive pressure transducer with a stainless finish? It has to be stainless to match the rest of the system.

But Inodor Pereya seems to not understand the concept of pressure.

Inodoro.

Well, thank you so very much Klaus, for your little pressure lesson. I would say that, after being in love with physics for the last 40+ years, I have a pretty good idea how pressure works in fluids. You, on the other hand, seem to be a little confused.
"Barometric pressure" is defined as "the weight of the air column on top of a body", here's, from wikipedia:

Atmospheric pressure is the force per unit area exerted against a surface by the weight of air above that surface in the Earth's atmosphere. In most circumstances atmospheric pressure is closely approximated by the hydrostatic pressure caused by the weight of air above the measurement point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_pressure

And here's what they have to say about "weight" (among other things (it's a long article)):

The definitions of the physical concept of weight given above define it as a vector quantity, having both magnitude and direction. For an object at rest on the surface of the Earth, its weight is a force that points down, approximately towards the centre of the Earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight#Vector_or_scalar

So, being that a load cell (or any other kind of spring loaded scale) measures "weight", it's gonna be specifically sensitive only to the vertical component of the atmospheric hydrostatic pressure, meaning that, while it's true that pressure in fluids is exerted in all directions, the only component of the barometric pressure that's gonna act on the scale is the vertical, downward component, the "weight", which is the only component the load cell measures.

So to me this says that they don't calibrate at the factory becuase the calibration would be off due to gravitational changes caused by your distance from the center of the earth. This also affects air. Which makes total sense.

Agree?

Really? you mean, like I said here?:

I don't have the formal training to give you a scientific answer for that. All I can tell you is that that's the main difference between a spring scale (like the digital scale we're talking about) and a balance. It's not that the spring scale is exclusively affected by barometric pressure. It's said it's affected by gravity, meaning the combination of the Earth's pull on the object being weighed, and the weight of the air column over it.
But that's about the extent of my knowledge on it. Maybe one of the forum's engineers can give you a better answer.

Either way, so far, I think the idea of measuring the impedance between 2 rods is by far the best one, for this application. It's accurate, affordable, and as reliable (in the long run) as you want to make it.

If you do agree than can we tie it into Klaus's statement, that after calibration barometric pressure should have no effect on the scale?

No, we can't. Barometric pressure is constantly changing, due to changes in the thickness of the atmosphere, air temperature, etc, so, even when the scale in site calibration will make it a lot more accurate than the same scale calibrated at the factory, it will still never have the accuracy of a balance, which is the reason why balances are still in use.

Two metal rods may work, however, I am unfimilair with that solution. I understand the prinicipals, but in practice are there some things that would have to be taken into account? I would assume temperature would have an effect on the reading?

Two metal rods do work. The only disadvantages are that you need to keep the water quality consistent (which is just a matter of filtering it), as impurity levels can affect the water impedance, and the eventual oxidation/calcium deposits on the rods (which can be taken care of by using 2 SS rods, and keeping them clean). Temperature does affect the reading, but water temperature is normally fairly stable, so the differences are negligible.

Well, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself.
The fact that a solution is not used (here) in an industrial application, doesn't mean that solution is not good. There are different reasons why that may happen (like your standardized output comment) that may not apply here.
Both the pressure and load cell approach share two major drawbacks: they lose calibration over time, and they need dedicated electronics to work.
After bouncing ideas for days, I still consider the resistive setup to be the best option, for several different reasons:

1. "Calibration" is only affected (providing the water quality is consistent) by the electrodes' shape, distance to each other, and cleanliness.

2. As long as the electrodes are straight, output is 100% linear.

3. There are no special electronics needed, to the point that, if the user wants to use a microcontroller to automate the whole process, he can connect the rods directly to an analog input. From then on, it's all programming.

4. The system is extremely rugged. There's no mobile parts, no deformable parts (like the spring in a load cell, or the diaphragm on a pressure sender), nothing. Just 2 metal rods and a length of wire.

5. You can easily adjust the sensitivity of the system, just by changing the position of the electrodes.

6. The system is, literally, dirt cheap.

None of the other systems can match that.

The electrode liquid level measurement sounds easy to do, but what you do not realize is that the conductivity of water is very low. In order to make a high impedance system with rods in water work you need to have a low noise amplifier to convert a high resistance input from the rods to a usable level that a controller can use. Without temperature compensation the readings would vary considerably as temperature changes negating any tuning done for level control.
This is the principal we use with conductivity meters for process streams, the temperature is a very important part of the measurement correction and it is used to provide a reasonably stable reading. With variable temperatures, water quality, and probe fouling, it would be necessary to tweak the electrodes each time to re-calibrate, which makes this method kind of problematic as it would take more tweak time than just watching sight glass and turning off the water.
The drift in calibration of pressure transmitters is so low that it would take years to accumulate enough offset to make that a significant factor in process control.

The electrode liquid level measurement sounds easy to do, but what you do not realize is that the conductivity of water is very low. In order to make a high impedance system with rods in water work you need to have a low noise amplifier to convert a high resistance input from the rods to a usable level that a controller can use. Without temperature compensation the readings would vary considerably as temperature changes negating any tuning done for level control.
This is the principal we use with conductivity meters for process streams, the temperature is a very important part of the measurement correction and it is used to provide a reasonably stable reading. With variable temperatures, water quality, and probe fouling, it would be necessary to tweak the electrodes each time to re-calibrate, which makes this method kind of problematic as it would take more tweak time than just watching sight glass and turning off the water.
The drift in calibration of pressure transmitters is so low that it would take years to accumulate enough offset to make that a significant factor in process control.

I do realize that. I don't know about the controllers used in brewing setups, but most industrial controllers have at least one high impedance analog input, with normally a 10 MΩ input impedance. Either way, if you need to use a low impedance input, you can build a low noise buffer with a TL 071, no extra components needed, so the extra expense is like $2.

Like I said, the temperature of running water is normally stable (depending on where you live), and, even if you have to make adjustments, they're seasonal adjustments, unlike barometric pressure, that's constantly changing.
Either way, the conductivity changes with temperature are far from important. If you look here (sorry, I don't know how to link to a PDF) you will see (page 2) that between 0 and 20*C, the resistivity variance is less than 2%, and that goes down to about 0.5% between 80 and 100*C, so, even between freezing temperature and 20*C (68*F) your error would be less than 400 cc (less than a pint) for every 5 gallons (18.925L). Hardly a big deal.
Other than that, water quality is also very stable normally, and can be greatly improved with the use of an inline filter, and electrode fouling is a long term problem, and only if you have hard water. Cleaning your electrodes once a year should be more than enough for most people. And no, you don't need to tweak anything. You just wipe them off with some CLR or similar, rinse them, and you're back in business.

Either way, if you need to use a low impedance input, you can build a low noise buffer with a TL 071, no extra components needed, so the extra expense is like $2.

That part will not be likely to work as the noise of that part is too high. It is a general purpose op amp. The AD624 from Analog Devices would be a wiser choice.

That part will not be likely to work as the noise of that part is too high.

Hardly. It has a 18 nV/√Hz Typ at f = 1 kHz Vn, and an 86 dB CMRR. And if you want a higher CMRR, you can always go for the TL 072, that's 100dB, and costs about the same.

If you think thats the case lets see you build one that is stable and costs next to nothing. You have made many claims in this thread. Lets see some results. IMHO the least expensive and most accurate way is with a $5.00 Freescale pressure sensor, a 9 volt battery, two $0.15, 1/4 watt resistors and a length of 1/8" vinyl tubing. You can read the output with a simple handheld DVM and there is no drilling or modification of the vessel. If you want to get fancy a small program can be written for an Arduino SBC.

I do not know where there is a low cost high impedance analog input PID controller, all that I have used and reviewed are typically 100K input, only the premium quality units have inputs in the 1M+ range. For the high impedance PH and conductivity probes there are integrated amplifiers or detached amplifier modules for signal conversion that handle the high impedance input signals.
Since you are adamant that the conductivity method is cheapest level measurement method, build one and show us how it works with an Auber SYL 2352 series PID controller and solenoid valve. I would suspect after you have devoted some time to the design, construction, and testing you will agree that a pressure sensor makes more sense to implement.

Alright. Now I am home and can fully address the comments of Inodoro Pereyra. My apologies to the OP for the totally off topic conversation. This will, I think by my final foray into this topic. If you want the short version, don't worry about atmospheric effects for brewing. Very very minute.

I am glad at least that Inodoro Pereyra and I can agree on something... the weight of a 1 square inch column of air is 14.7 lbs. But when you weigh something on a scale you are not measuring that column of air because the pressure that it creates is exerted equally in all directions on all surfaces. That includes the bottom of the weighing plate. If it didn’t, then you could take a 100 square inch piece of paper, weigh it on end and get essentially the mass, then weigh it flat and you would measure 1470 lbs. I guess unless you have an umbrella over your scale to hold all that weight up, though.

I agree on Inodoro Pereyra's wikipedia post... “Atmospheric pressure is the force per unit area exerted against a surface by the weight of air above that surface in the Earth's atmosphere.” But this is a pressure and pushes against ALL surfaces in every orientation, up, down, left and right and equally so. And we also agree that weight is a vector quantity pointing to the center of the earth that is the product of mass times gravity. The next thing, though, just ain’t so. A load cell is, as he says, not going to be sensitive at all to the sideways forces exerted by atmospheric PRESSURE, but only to the vertical components. But there are both down and up vertical components that perfectly balance so the net effect is zero.

See the explanation of the pressure on the roof of a house here under “standard pressure”

http://www.stuffintheair.com/barometric-pressure-definition.html

The only effect atmospheric pressure has on a scale reading is from buoyancy effects, and these are very small, and NOT due to air pressing down on the scale. See the section in the below wikipedia link about buoyancy effects of air on weight. It addresses directly this point. Buoyancy effects will cause only a 1 in 30,000 difference (0.0033%) in mass measured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_versus_weight

Don’t trust Wikipedia (even though that has been Inodoro Pereyra's source of choice)? Try The UK National Physics Laboratory.

http://www.npl.co.uk/reference/faqs/does-atmospheric-pressure-affect-pressure-balances-(faq-pressure)

At 1 atmosphere, air weighs 1.204 kg per meter cubed at 20 degrees C. So, our 10 gallons of water displaces 0.0379 meters cubed (45 grams) of air at 1 atmosphere. How about if we have a storm and the pressure is down to 0.9 atmospheres? Well, then the our scale will weigh 4.5 grams more than it previously did. On a 10 gallon batch, I am not too sure this would make a big difference. My scale only weights to within 0.05 lbs-- too small to note this difference. That is the weight of less than a single teaspoon of water.

Anyway, I will get off my high horse. Again, apologies to the OP. Hope this has been entertaining, at least.

Klaus

If you think thats the case lets see you build one that is stable and costs next to nothing. You have made many claims in this thread. Lets see some results.

Hopefully I will, soon enough. The only thing stopping me right now is money. Well, that and that I'm sore (I was hit by a car a couple nights ago), but I'm hoping that's not gonna last...:)

I do not know where there is a low cost high impedance analog input PID controller, all that I have used and reviewed are typically 100K input, only the premium quality units have inputs in the 1M+ range.

Never said anything about PIDs. I have absolutely no experience with them. But I do have extensive experience with industrial microcontrollers, using the 68HC05 and 68HC11 µC (2 of the most popular chips ever for industrial applications), and I've never used a board that had less than 4 high Z analog inputs.

That said, even a 100K input is more than enough for this application. Water has a maximum theoretical impedance of 182K/m ("theoretical impedance" meaning the impedance of a column of water 1m long, with a 1mm2 section, and that's for deionized water). That means that, even if you put your rods 1m apart, the moment the water hits them, you'll have much less than a 100K Z.

Klaus: sorry, I don't have the energy to even read your last post whole. You win.
You know better than wikipedia. You know better than the scale's manufacturers. You even know better than gold and precious stones dealers, that up until today keep using precision balances instead of digital scales, even when they're expensive, and extremely delicate. Whatever.

I will, however, reply directly to one of your comments:

Don’t trust Wikipedia (even though that has been Inodoro Pereyra's source of choice)?

Yeah, I do trust wikipedia. As a Spanish speaking guy, belonging to more than a dozen English speaking forums, I have consistently used wikipedia to help me explain in English what I know in Spanish. NOT ONCE have I found the slightest inaccuracy. Have you?
I did find, however, many people in the past, pitching the same arguments against wikipedia you just did. Normally either the "water for fuel/perpetual motion" crowd, or the "global warming is BS" crowd. The last one sustained that the word of an entomologist was more qualified about renewable fuels than wikipedia is. So, if you were expecting me to apologize for trusting wikipedia, sorry to disappoint. Far as I'm concerned, I have never been proven wrong about them.

Hopefully I will, soon enough. The only thing stopping me right now is money. Well, that and that I'm sore (I was hit by a car a couple nights ago), but I'm hoping that's not gonna last...:)

The money should not be too much of a stumbling block. My transducer solution would be about $10 to $12. Your challenge would be to get something working for less than that.

Yeah, well, I've been unemployed for a year and a half, so, believe me, $10 is kinda like a fortune, right now...

I have consistently used wikipedia to help me explain in English what I know in Spanish. NOT ONCE have I found the slightest inaccuracy. Have you?

Nope. I love Wikipedia. I find it a very valuable resource and have NEVER found any inaccuracies. I use it all the time unless it is work related and I need a more definitive source, mostly for the record.

Klaus

Don’t trust Wikipedia (even though that has been Inodoro Pereyra's source of choice)?

Nope. I love Wikipedia. I find it a very valuable resource and have NEVER found any inaccuracies.

Now I'm confused. :confused:

Are you suggesting others not to trust wikipedia because you love it, and you've been unable to find any inaccuracies?
Or are you saying that the fact that you find it a "very valuable resource" automatically makes it a source not to be trusted?

Is it me, or there's a contradiction there, somewhere?:confused:

Are you suggesting others not to trust wikipedia because you love it, and you've been unable to find any inaccuracies?
Or are you saying that the fact that you find it a "very valuable resource" automatically makes it a source not to be trusted?

Is it me, or there's a contradiction there, somewhere?:confused:

No. No contradiction. There was a question mark on the end, making it a question and not a statement. Never suggested anyone shouldn't trust wikipedia. But I am aware that there are people out there who poo poo wikipedia because articles can be written by anybody and it is difficult to know the qualifications of those who write or edit them. That is why I also gave a link to the UK National Physics Laboratory, which directly addressed the issue and is an unquestionably reliable source. Wikipedia is great too, and says the same thing.

Klaus

Back