Water Pots Smell Like Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plastic Brewkettle

Reaction score
I use these pots (4 and 5 gallon) to heat strike and sparge water. My wife has used one to cook an s-ton of vegetable soup. I don't have any recipes that call for soup aromaticized water. I'm wondering if I should be heading to The Hague to file a crime against humanity report. This is a violation of international law, is it not?

I saw that thread. It was horrifying. Especially because at first I thought that was the chambermaid dumping somebody's effluence into the sacred brewpot.

I saw that thread. It was horrifying. Especially because at first I thought that was the chambermaid dumping somebody's effluence into the sacred brewpot.
Good! ..It's not just me! When I saw that pic I thought similar: The Ale for Britain (DO NOT click unless you really wanna feel sick, or was a fan of ismellwierd... maybe he moved to the UK)

I use these pots (4 and 5 gallon) to heat strike and sparge water. My wife has used one to cook an s-ton of vegetable soup. I don't have any recipes that call for soup aromaticized water. I'm wondering if I should be heading to The Hague to file a crime against humanity report. This is a violation of international law, is it not?
Buy some Oxyclean Green in the laundry soap Isle. Green is specified because it has no perfume or dyes. It removes stains as well as smells.

Yeah, what kind of pots? What are they made of?

Stainless steel and porcelainized or enamel pots never have odors for me after even after a half-arsed washing. Aluminum, maybe some odor, cast iron definitely hold on to things previously cooked.

I use my large multicooker both for step-mashing and for cooking.
Although I wash and clean the bowl after each cook session, the soup smell sometime still lingers a little however I clean.
Saying that, I've never noticed a tiniest bit of soup flavour transferring into the wort. And I checked thoroughly.
It's just 1.5G volume here. In your 4-5 Gallons, the soup will be present in your wort in homeopatically impercievable concentrations.

I forgot to clean my boil kettle after one brew day. I got everything cleaned but that and made the "I'll get to that later" mistake and forgot about it. Trust me, if you ever do something like that, you don't ever want to open the lid.....

Point is, I gave the kettle a good scrubbing afterwards and the beers since have turned out fine. I doubt the soup smell would be even close to what I experienced.

On another note....we are talking about a stainless kettle, right? Your username has me wondering.

Back