Water melon wheat yeast strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caucasian

Reaction score
Want to brew something similar to 21a hell or high watermellon for summer time. I don't want alot of bannana esters, what yeast should i use, us 05, 1056?

I've used 1056 several times for watermelon wheat beers and blueberry wheat beers with great results. I fermented the beers at the low end of the temperature range for this yeast so it fermented very clean allowing the fruit to really stand out.

I did a watermelon wheat last year with American hefe strain...waste of money. I should have used US-05.

I did mine back before I started keeping better notes but as I recall it was very simple. Keep in mind I’ve never had 21a but read alot about it in my research.

6 Gallons
4lbs 2-row
4lbs Wheat
1lb American Lt Munich

Not sure on the hops but it would have been a low bittering charge only. 15 ibu or so.

After the vigorous fermentation was over I scrubbed the outside of the watermelon with dish soap and a sponge. I used steel wool to get the dirty spots off. I then rinsed and sprayed the outside of the water melon w/ sanitizer and sanitized the knife, cutting board, bowl, and colander. I squeezed the water melon through the colander to extract the juices and discarded the fiber/pulp. I got a little less than .75 gal of juice into secondary and racked the beer on top. Fermentation took off again. It turned out real good and I am doing another in a few weeks.

I used the american hefe strain...wlp320.Its advertised to be a toned down version of the tradition hefe yeast but any flavors the yeast brings are hidden by the watermelon so I am using us-05 next time.

I just did another batch of this. 6 gallons @1.042 into fermenter and I used US-05. Anyone else had a chance to make one? I was hoping to get mine done before July 4th but that’s not going to happen.

If you really want and you have the means, drink most of a can and then harvest the yeast out of it. There is yeast in the bottom of the can, I actually sawed a can in half to check before I attempted to harvest some yeast over the winter but never used it. I know people will say you need many cans but if you have the time you can start off with a tiny amount of wort and go from there.

Back