Water measurement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuzlo

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to measure water coming out of a tap? I dont want to use a jug, I would rather use soem sort of water meter that hooks onto a tap, is this possible?

Andy

Use a jug. Or get a 2 gallon bucket. Why waste money on measuring water when you could spend it on more useful equipment or ingredients?

Use a jug to measure out water for 20 Gallon fermenter. No thanks.

Use a jug one time and make a dipstick? or turn on the water and fill a known quantity at the current rate and time how long it takes, then multiply that by your volume.

You could also look into measuring it by weight. 20 gallons of water weigh about 160 lbs. Of course I don't know the exact set-up, so this might not be practical. Are you trying to measure the amount of fluid you are draining out of the fermenter? In that case, a scale under the container you are draining into might work well.

Flowmeters are possible but expensive and a lot aren't as accurate as you'll want it. A marked sight glass on one of the vessels is going to be your best bet. Or if it's a plastic bucket, measuring it and marking the sides.

You can also get a stick and mark on it at well. I use a marked stick for when I'm sparging into my boil pot to see how much I'm collecting.

Latest posts

Back