Water kefir in stainless steel bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarthaSprung

Rise&Shine
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to take water kefir with me, when going on hikes. My preferance is a stainless steel bottle.

stainless-steel-750ml-water-bottle.jpg

Will the water kefir negativly react with the stainless steel, when I have it in there for 10 hours at most? Will it damage the bottle and is it safe to drink the water kefir?

Thanks in advance!

Stainless should be relatively inert to kefir. One risk is that the bottle is made of cheap stainless rather than good stuff.

You might try putting some kefir in the bottle for several hours or overnight and then looking for any discoloration of the bottle on the inside. If the acids are going to degrade the metal there might be some discoloration of the stainless. Obviously if there were any off tastes in the water after that time it would be a bad sign as well.

This would not be a fool proof method, but it would give you a relatively simple way to test.

Latest posts

Back