Water in, waste out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm talking about getting water IN and OUT of your brew room/filters/how you get from A to B!!! Learn me something.

It's very technical.
index.jpg

I have an outside spigot , I fill my strike kettle with 3 gallons and hoof the rest in 1 gallon jugs ( My strike burner element is at shoulder height), until it is full (7 gallons) ,the "waste" which is actually my spent grains, they get dumped over the fence .Once they dry I run them over with the mower to disperse them. Only other "waste" is when I wash out the equipment at the end of brew day or fermentation (trub and yeast )...out in the yard .

I use three 2.5 gal jugs plus one 1 Gal jug of distilled water. The waste is trapped by the MLT grain or BK trub. The remainder is wort which goes into a fermenter. After fermentation it’s beer and goes into a keg. Any residual waste water throughout the project (which is less than two cups) gets poured down the brewery drain as does any waste water from cleaning (without chemicals). If cleaning with chemicals (PBW, Iodophor) the water is discarded in the flower bed.

Hope that helps.

On the off chance this is a serious question.... :)

I get water into my boil kettle for heating by using a self-priming pump to move that water from an Aquatainer where I collect my RO water.

I'll also typically add a gallon of tap water to that, and for that I use a gallon pitcher. That water is unsoftened raw water from our system--lots of minerals.

When it comes time to chill with my counterflow chiller, I run water from an inside garden-hose spigot to the chiller, and the out flow goes down a drain in the garage floor, which ejects that water at the curb and down the storm sewer.

When it's time to clean, I'll run a short hose connected to my sink faucet adjacent to my brewing space to fill either the kettle or clean the fermenter.

Stuff that is not pure water (from cleaning) goes down the sink drain to the sanitary sewer.

conicalhose.jpg transferpump.jpg cfsetup2.jpg sprayoutconical.jpg brewspacehose.jpg

On the off chance this is a serious question.... :)

I get water into my boil kettle for heating by using a self-priming pump to move that water from an Aquatainer where I collect my RO water.

I'll also typically add a gallon of tap water to that, and for that I use a gallon pitcher. That water is unsoftened raw water from our system--lots of minerals.

When it comes time to chill with my counterflow chiller, I run water from an inside garden-hose spigot to the chiller, and the out flow goes down a drain in the garage floor, which ejects that water at the curb and down the storm sewer.

When it's time to clean, I'll run a short hose connected to my sink faucet adjacent to my brewing space to fill either the kettle or clean the fermenter.

Stuff that is not pure water (from cleaning) goes down the sink drain to the sanitary sewer.

View attachment 632928 View attachment 632929 View attachment 632930 View attachment 632931 View attachment 632932
This is EXACTLY what I was wondering. Much obliged.

Back