Water help, first time adjusting profile am i on the right track?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PissyFingers

Reaction score
Hi guys n girls, decided to get a water report as im on bore water and have no idea of the content of it.

I have loaded the info into EZ Water 3 and here are the results. Im trying for a pale ale profile, are my Gypsum additions to high? Also i had to add 2.6% acid malt to get the PH in range, is there another way to get it lower with out using that? (maybe citric acid?)
My total hardness is 114, so how does that affect the additions?

I am using a herms system so i planned on treating the strike and entire HLT water volume, is this the way to go?

Thanks for any help i am really just guessing and what like some pointers i the right direction.

cheers,

Harley

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 24
Mg: 13.3
Na: 14.7
Cl: 19.1
SO4: 36
CaCO3: 114

Mash / Sparge Vol Litres 24 / 46
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 5.8

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 8 / 15.33333333
CaCl2: 1.5 / 2.875
MgSO4: 1.2 / 2.3
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 150

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 117 / 117
Mg: 18 / 18
Na: 15 / 15
Cl: 49 / 49
SO4: 241 / 241
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.20 / 0.20

Alkalinity (CaCO3): -60
RA: -154
Estimated pH: 5.52
(room temp)

Yeah, give it a go in the brew science forum. And/or read the brewing water chemistry primer. I'm following those instructions lately, my last batch had a very good mash ph.

I would try cutting the water with 50% RO do drop the alkalinity. This should allow you to cut back on your acid addition. As for your acid addition, there is nothing wrong with acid malt. If you would like to use an alternative, you can always use phosphoric or lactic acid. I would also drop the MgSo4 as the malt contains enough Mg for the yeast. Stick with gypsum and CaCl. Overall ppms dont look bad. Similar to what I use.

As stated though, this would best be posted in the Brew Science section. Ajdelange has some good stickies in there for water recommendations.

Back