Water Chemistry Pt. 1: Mash Manipulation | xBmt Results!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
Water chemistry is often the last piece of the brewing puzzle homebrewers address, the final element lauded by many for being what took their beer from meh to marvelous. But does it really matter? Does adding small amounts of gypsum, calcium chloride, or lactic acid really change the quality of beer? This is something I've wondered for quite awhile and I finally put it to the test. xBmt results are in!!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/04/06/water-chemistry-pt-1-mash-manipulation-exbeeriment-results/

I love your xBmts. This one was super interesting. I just sent my tap water to Ward labs so I'm excited to test the differences of water profile myself.

Good experiment, have you thought about repeating it with different styles? Pils is certainly one that is generally thought of when talking water chemistry adjustments. I wonder if other styles are as sensitive.

Looks good. As I've found, water chemistry doesn't really affect efficiency or attenuation. But it does have a significant impact on flavor and can have some impact on mouthfeel (mainly if tannins were extracted when pH wasn't managed). For some styles, adjusting your water can have a profound effect.

I love your xBmts. This one was super interesting. I just sent my tap water to Ward labs so I'm excited to test the differences of water profile myself.

Thanks so much! Ward is fantastic, that's who I got my report from 3 years ago. Just make sure your municipal water source doesn't change throughout the year :)

Good experiment, have you thought about repeating it with different styles? Pils is certainly one that is generally thought of when talking water chemistry adjustments. I wonder if other styles are as sensitive.

Absolutely! We've got plans to do numerous water chem xBmts in a number of different styles including IPA and Dry Stout. The second water xBmt article should be ready in about a month, stay tuned!

Looks good. As I've found, water chemistry doesn't really affect efficiency or attenuation. But it does have a significant impact on flavor and can have some impact on mouthfeel (mainly if tannins were extracted when pH wasn't managed). For some styles, adjusting your water can have a profound effect.

Thank you SO much for all you've done for the homebrewing community, Martin! Bru'n Water is incredible. In my anecdotal experience, water chem seems to have the most significant impact in flavor as opposed to other aspects. If you're ever interested in participating, shoot me a PM, that'd be great!

Back