Water analysis results are in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigtone

Reaction score
Well I have been brewing all grain BIAB batches for the last two years and they have turned out OK, but I feel like some of my brews are a little flat or duller than I would like, if that makes sense. I've been using city water, treated with half campden tab for the chlorine, but no other major adjustments. I just got a Ward Labs report - see below. It looks like my results are ok for a variety of styles but I think the pH and bicarbonate are too high.

So I was thinking of mixing with a few gallons of distilled water, maybe adding phosphoric acid or acidulated malt to cut the pH. Or am I totally off on this one?? Relatively new so looking for any thoughts or tips from people that have been there already and understand this better than I do. Thanks!

2022-01-04_12-55-04.jpg

Starting water pH has almost no effect on mash pH. It's the alkalinity of the starting water that matters, and yours is fairly high. You should definitely be adding acid or acidulated malt for lighter colored beers. You really should be using water adjustment software.

Brew on :mug:

Ca, Mg, Na, Cl are all ok, SO4 is low. The big issue is the bicarbonates which are high which will make it difficult to brew lighter styles without using acidulated malt or acids. Cutting your source water with a few gallons will help with the bicarbonate level but will lower your Ca, Cl, and SO4. More importantly, you will be flying blind and not really know what your water profile actually is and the mash PH you should expect.

You really should be using water adjustment software

As noted above use a water adjustment calculator like Brun Water or MashMadeEasy as they can help you determine the salts and acid adjustments needed to hit the target profile of your brewing water including PH. Dilution of your source water with RO water is part of the functionality of these calculators.

Thanks for the tips, I'm working in Bru'n Water and MpH Water calculator (which I find a little easier), it looks like I am going to dilute with distilled, add very small amounts of gypum and CaCl2, some lactic acid, gets me pretty close. It's amazing how far off I was from idea pH and mineral content, looking forward to the next batch.

That water has a lot of alkalinity and you definitely need acid additions in order to neutralize it. That alkalinity level might be OK for brown or black beers, but pale beers have got to have the acid!

Tell me about it, now I know why I’ve struggled to bring out hop flavor and crispness to my lighter ales and lagers.

To address your waters Alkalinity requires the addition of one of the following to every 5 gallons, whereby to bring its pH to ~5.5 and its Alkalinity to ~21 ppm:

5.6 mL of 88% Lactic Acid
6.2 mL of 80% Lactic Acid
58.6 mL of 10% Phosphoric Acid
17.5 mL of 30% Phosphoric Acid
5.2 mL of 75% Phosphoric Acid
4.3 mL of 85% Phosphoric Acid
17.6 mL of AMS (CRS)
4.9 grams of Anhydrous Citric Acid crystals

To address your waters Alkalinity requires the addition of one of the following to every 5 gallons, whereby to bring its pH to ~5.5 and its Alkalinity to ~21 ppm:

5.6 mL of 88% Lactic Acid
6.2 mL of 80% Lactic Acid
58.6 mL of 10% Phosphoric Acid
17.5 mL of 30% Phosphoric Acid
5.2 mL of 75% Phosphoric Acid
4.3 mL of 85% Phosphoric Acid
17.6 mL of AMS (CRS)
4.9 grams of Anhydrous Citric Acid crystals

Thanks!! I was pretty close to this, I purchased 88% Lactic Acid and was aiming for 8ml in a 7.8 gal batch (BIAB, I have dialed it in to 7.8 gal to start and always end up with 5.5 in the fermenter).

This is super helpful, it took some time but I feel like I am started to get it.

After you have addressed your waters Alkalinity, for light colored beers you will still need to add some level of additional acidity whereby to make up for the acid deficiency present within grists comprised of mostly base malts.

Base malts are acid deficient with respect to a commonly chosen mash pH target of 5.40.

Last edited:
Back