Water additions for decoc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RokGoblin

Reaction score
I am just about to start my mash in on a decoction mash (first time) and was wondering if it matters at which point I add my water additions. I know they should be in the mash, but since I am going to draw a bunch of thick mash and boil it I was wondering if that would make a difference for the water additions. Post decoc means the additions are not being boiled and pre-decoc meas that a portion of them are being boiled. Is this something I should concern myself with?

I am just about to start my mash in on a decoction mash (first time) and was wondering if it matters at which point I add my water additions. I know they should be in the mash, but since I am going to draw a bunch of thick mash and boil it I was wondering if that would make a difference for the water additions. Post decoc means the additions are not being boiled and pre-decoc meas that a portion of them are being boiled. Is this something I should concern myself with?

I don't understand what you are asking. When doing a decoction you add the original strike water to the grain and that's it. One of the points of a decoction is that you raise the mash temp to its next step by adding the hot, boiled grains back into the original mash rather than adding hot water as in a multi-step infusion.

LOL, Thanks for the reply Ed. I was in a rush and didn't read through my post to check for "clarity" before posting. What I was asking about was mineral salts...LOL. Hehe! I just added them to my mash as I usually do. I was just overthinking my question as is typical for me.

LOL, Thanks for the reply Ed. I was in a rush and didn't read through my post to check for "clarity" before posting. What I was asking about was mineral salts...LOL. Hehe! I just added them to my mash as I usually do. I was just overthinking my question as is typical for me.

Yes, add them to your mash. That's what I do when I do a decoction mash, with pretty decent results.

Back