Watchmen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
Am I the only one that hated this movie? After reading and hearing from all the comicbook fanboys wanking over the impending movie, I thought it may be worth a look. I saw it at the video store and picked it up out of the dozens of copies still there (should've been foreshadowing on my part). Now, I knew this wouldn't be a typical superhero movie, like Batman or Spiderman. I expected to see some kind of film noir espousing the foibles and trials of being a superhero. I liked the alternate time line, the beginning montages were awesome, fight scene right at the beginning seemed to set the tone.

I was wrong. It sucked.

Dr. Manhattan needed about ten thousand LESS lines. Every single one of his lines was about how his god-dom was irrelevant to the human race. OK. WE GET IT. You don't care fine! Go get therapy or go live on Mars in your stupid Fortress Clock Of Solitude. Seriously WTF was the point of that? OH boo hoo he broke up with his girlfriend and went to Mars to cry and slit his wrists! Then he kidnaps her and drones on some more about his 'feelings'. “Can’t you just tell me how all this ends and save us the time?” the Jupiter asks Big Blue impatiently. At that point, she was reading my thoughts exactly. I know SOMEone is going to mention the blue wang, so I'm just doing it now and getting it over with.

Ozymandias was the 'here's the twist!' villain. So Night Owl and Rorschach spend 15 minutes trying to kick his ass in his Egyptian Fortress of Solitude, then he blows up NY, and now they're all 'welp, that's it. gg I guess.' Then they stand around talking about it! uh, what? If anything you should want to take him out even more, he just killed millions of people!

Rorschach seemed to be the only character that actually stayed focused on what it's like to be a superhero. He had a mission and stuck with it. Even he knew he was a bit of a loon, but he accepted that. Except for the very end when he inexplicably asked Dr. Manhattan to blow him up. Huh? He was the only character we seemed to get to know on the inside. To see how he was thinking. The rest of them were just blah.

Switching back and forth between protagonist stories was jarring at times, confusing at others. It was like there were four or possibly five movies going at once, but split up and mixed in all together.

Granted, I haven't read the comic book(and here's where The Comic Book Guys just :rolleyes: and smirk "then you just don't underSTAND, man!") but a multi million dollar movie should at least make sense to people who haven't seen it.

If I've ruined this movie for anyone planning to see it, I'm not sorry. Biggest waste of $5 and three hours of my life since I rented "There Will Be Blood".

I enjoyed it. Agree about Doc Manhattan. But the man was naked, big deal...I don't see why people have problems with wangs in movies.

If you don't understand why Rorschach asked him to blow him up, then you really don't get it. :D He was a tormented man and his work was done. The journal was really downplayed in the movie.

Rorchach was the saviour of the movie, without him it would have been stupid. Best actor in the film and certainly the best character. "You all don't seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me!"

My biggest complaint is actually the choice of music. Some of it was really lame. The first scene and the starting credits definitely got my hopes up about the rest of the movie, but despite that it failed to meet my expectations, I still enjoyed it.

Read the graphic novel...it's bad ass. There is much more depth to all these stories than they could possibly put in one movie. I think they did a good job.

They butchered the damn thing and I hated the actors. I mean, Kelly Leek was Rorschach?! Really??

BLEH.

"You all don't seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me!"

Best line in the movie!!

I read the graphic novel. It was awesome. The movie deviated in a couple of spots which kinda bothered me, but overall it was okay.

Read the graphic novel if you get a chance. Much better than the movie and it definitely better defines the characters and their motives...

I really enjoyed the comics ... they got me into comics, really. The movie on the other hand, was just pretty boring and would have been hard to follow (I think) if I hadn't read the book. Rorschach's growl was hard to hear/understand also.... good character, tho. Pretty much a let down.

I never heard of this until the movie came out. Then everyone says, "The most anticipated comic movie of all time!"

I was like, HUH??

But the previews made me kind of want to see it. Still might be worth renting in Blueray if the effects are good.

Does it help or hurt if you know nothing about the comic?

I thought it stayed true to the novel for the most part. Except for the ending. Giant sci-fi monster > whack ass bombs.

I'm still waiting on Jeff Smith's Bone to get moviefied.

IMO, if you've read the comic you'll be more apt to dislike the movie.

But Malin Akerman gets naked and nudity can make any movie good no matter how much you are hating it.

I thought it stayed true to the novel for the most part. Except for the ending. Giant sci-fi monster > whack ass bombs.

I disagree. I think they made a good choice in that regard, when interpreting for the big screen. 99% of the public would have been like "wha???" about the "alien" monster thingee, psychic ablities, etc.

Doc Manhattan was leaving anyway, it fit.

I read the comic first and loved the movie.

It's interesting how many of the people who hated it complained that they didn't make it like the graphic novel, and the folks who loved it loved it because it was so close to the graphic novel.

That movie drug on soooo damn long. I've read most of the book. SWMBO read all of it. That was it's only saving grace.

They could have done better I think.

I'm sorry, but this is NOT Rorschach..

kellyleak01.jpg

No. Not even with his bestest, most gravelly wannabe Bale Batman voice will he ever be Rorschach... **** that.

And if Emo Manhattan cuts himself, what color is the blood?

You hating on dude because he was on the bad news bears? He did an AWESOME job...maybe the voice was a little over the top, but other than that...perfect. No one could have done it better.

And you fail at hotlinking :p

yeah.. I'm a hotlinking bastard. I'll fix it.

Yes, I'm hating because I held an image.. no, a standard for the awesomeness that was Rorschach from years ago when I read the TPB, and then his mask comes off and all I can do is jump out of my seat and yell "KELLY F-ING LEAK?!" and everyone that was in the room with me got it and started laughing.. but I was seriously pissed off.

It's not his fault it totally ruined the entire movie for me, but it did.

And yeah.. where the hell was the Journal?!

And yeah.. where the hell was the Journal?!

SRSLY...they didn't even show the journalists before the very last scene. They really should have explained those characters a bit more. People that didn't know the comics could have completely missed the importance of that. And then they had to add his stupid voice one last time to make sure all the idiots in the audience (that they "created" with their poor choice of scenes) knew what was going on.

I loved rorschach, but had a big problem with the journal. The director's cut is supposed to have some additional scenes...maybe they'll fix it. Gotta remember to pick that up some time...

I never read the comics, and I didn't really like the movie. It was pretty entertaining for the first 2 hours, but the last half hour I kept wondering if it was the ending. They had about 15 different end scenes with dramatic music, but the credits didn't come. Instead it panned onto another 2 minute scene that seemed like a dramatic ending, but the credits didn't come... after a while, the wife and I were like WTF, does this movie end?

I was falling asleep within the first 20 minutes, took short naps for the first half then turned it off and sent it back in the mail.

So basically...... I wasn't impressed.

Within the first 20 minutes? You mean after the first 10, right?

OK, at least everyone has to admit that the fight scene and the opening credits were bad-ass, right?

I watched the director's cut a few weeks ago. Best part was that they included the squid... if you look close. :D

I can see why a lot of people didn't like it (and I'm not pompous enough to assume they just didn't understand like those Matrix sequel loving jackasses). The story does really weird stuff with typical superhero conventions. It takes an absolutely absurd premise but then tries to navigate the characters as if they're real people. And to be real people in those circumstances, they have to be completely off their rockers. You don't dress up in a costume and fight crime in your spare time unless there's something seriously wrong with you. And the further you get into the movie, the more you realize how absolutely messed up these people really are, even the ones who don't seem all that abnormal at first. The audience is naturally pushed away from empathizing with the characters as a result. A lot of people just aren't going to like that.

o rly? Did they have more of the journalists? More backstory?

Don't remember much more about the journalists, but there was more backstory. Missing bits like the first Night Owl being killed. That sorta thing. Some scenes were just cut a bit longer. You get more explanation about the trap set for Dr Manhattan at the end and things like that. Ran close to 3 hours if I remember right. Or maybe it just seemed that way. I loved the movie and the directors cut started to feel just too danged long to me even.

I loved rorschach, but had a big problem with the journal. The director's cut is supposed to have some additional scenes...maybe they'll fix it. Gotta remember to pick that up some time...

You mean there's a version where this crap goes on even LONGER???

I'm sorry, but this is NOT Rorschach..

kellyleak01.jpg

No. Not even with his bestest, most gravelly wannabe Bale Batman voice will he ever be Rorschach... **** that.

And if Emo Manhattan cuts himself, what color is the blood?

Funny thing is that he is playing Freddy Krueger in the new Nightmare on Elm Street movie.

I had never read the comic book before seeing the movie and got pretty confused at times. The most confusing part was about how Dr. Manhatten could see into the future, but then they showed him tearing apart Vietnam so I couldn't tell if it was alternate history or what was going on. I think they should have made it two parts. That would have given them enough time the flesh out the story better and still have enough action sequences and what not mixed to keep people from getting bored. Everybody I watched with was either very confused or very bored.

You hating on dude because he was on the bad news bears? He did an AWESOME job...maybe the voice was a little over the top, but other than that...perfect. No one could have done it better.

+1, best character in the movie. And compared to Christian Bale his his voice was no where near over the top. People who hated this movie probably loved Transformers 2 with it's 400 explosions and poopy dialogue.

And no im not hatin I wanted to like it. Stupid Michael Bay.:(

Hey, I liked Transformers 2! It was even better than the first one! No, not for the gripping dialogue, or consistent plot-hole-free universe but because they didn't jumble the robots together and do 'let's-do-five-camera-changes-in-four-seconds-because-it-simulates-action' bull****. Of course, they took all the cinematic plays from the Matrix movies, but I actually like those movies too. OK the first one.... somewhat the second one.

Don't get me wrong I love the transformers themselves, I just wish Michael Bay wasn't involved. I think summer popcorn movies are gradually getting worse. I love a good explosion, but do we need them for 2 solid hours?

Meh, what do I know. I think Carla Gugino is hotter than Malin Akerman.:eek:

3342733959_36668e34aa_o.jpg

fizgig4-CarlaGugino.jpg

loved the series.
Enjoyed the movie, but was left wanting so much more.

Rorshack stole the show. The only problem with him was his dialogue was mixed low, making him hard to understand sometimes. Push him up in the mix and he'd officially steal the show.

Doc Manhattan bored me. All the Night Owl scenes screamed of Deus ex Machina. In the comics, it made sense... on the screen, it seemed like Monte Hall arrived and was giving away get out of jail cards as prizes.

Overall I enjoyed the film. $6 bucks for a Digital print matinee with 15 people in the audience wasn't a bad deal for me.

I did miss the comic within the comic however. I will pick that up on Blu-ray along with the movie one of these days.

I really enjoyed it personally. I'm also a big fan of the book which may have helped. I've only seen the Directors cut so I'm not sure of the differences though.

I thought Rorshack was fantastic and spot on. I even thought the ending was more appropriate - especially for a movie. I have to admit that when it comes to the book I never really fell in line with that ending. I think the movie ending made much more sense.

I can't remember the name of the guy who played him, but I thought the Comedian was played perfectly as well.

loved the series.
Enjoyed the movie, but was left wanting so much more.

Rorshack stole the show. The only problem with him was his dialogue was mixed low, making him hard to understand sometimes. Push him up in the mix and he'd officially steal the show.

Doc Manhattan bored me. All the Night Owl scenes screamed of Deus ex Machina. In the comics, it made sense... on the screen, it seemed like Monte Hall arrived and was giving away get out of jail cards as prizes.

Overall I enjoyed the film. $6 bucks for a Digital print matinee with 15 people in the audience wasn't a bad deal for me.

I did miss the comic within the comic however. I will pick that up on Blu-ray along with the movie one of these days.

I have the comic series scanned if you want to take a look.

+1, best character in the movie. And compared to Christian Bale his his voice was no where near over the top. People who hated this movie probably loved Transformers 2 with it's 400 explosions and poopy dialogue.

And no im not hatin I wanted to like it. Stupid Michael Bay.:(

[ame=http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155700]Those Aren't Ideas, They're Special FX - Clips - South Park Studios[/ame]

And then a semi truck will explode like "BLAGH!" and comets will rain down from the sky like "BOOSH!" and a building will tumble like "PERCLASH!" and Michael Bay will die.

I collected Watchmen when it first came out when I was in 8th grade or so . . and I've read the TPB front to back twice . . and until the second read of the TPB I was convinced that this was a pretty darn good comic. But then I came to the conclusion that Watchmen is only good when you can flip through the boring parts. I mean, seriously, if you read every single line in the TPB front to back, you realize that it's a long, rambling, mostly boring mess. What saves it is Rorsharch and the action scenes.

And the movie is pretty darn true to the comic . . which means that when you watch it start to finish, it's a long, rambling, mostly boring mess. Rorsharch, the Comedian and the action scenes are completely awesome . . . but you can't skip ahead to the good stuff like you can with the book. It's like they had two movies - one is completely kickass with great dialog and action and excitement - and the other is like a bad, droning, romantic drama that won't end - and they spliced the two movies together in alternating 5 minute increments. It's like some bad psychological experiment where they alternate causing you extreme joy and extreme pain to see what you do.

Overall I absolutely hated the fact that I wasted my 2 1/2 - 3 hours watching it. I wish they had a 90 minute version with all the boring parts cut out.

Sometimes good books are not meant to be made into movies simply because the way you read and enjoy a book is very different from how you watch a movie.

Back