Watching the air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunkleneil

Reaction score
I'm still pretty new to fermentations. I can't help but go
check on whatever is fermenting at that time several times a day and get excited to see the air lock bubbling away. The more aggressive the bubbles the more I smile. Like a kid looking at the Christmas tree. I know not to place too much emphasis on the air lock but nothing like seeing it churning away.

Bubbles in the airlock are only for entertainment. If you don't have them, then don't worry. Sometimes the real active part of fermentation is over and done with before you know it.

Bubbles in the airlock are only for entertainment. If you don't have them, then don't worry. Sometimes the real active part of fermentation is over and done with before you know it.
I agree. That's why I said "I know not too put to much emphasis on the air lock." 👍

SACRILEGE, I SAY!!! Watching the bubbles in the airlock is like back when we used to watch the progress indicator when defragging hard drives. The fascination never goes away. :ban:

Watching blow-off is the best!! I do it to save money...otherwise I'd have to buy paint and then paint something with it. :ghostly:

Last edited:
Pablo[90698].jpg

color? it was primitive ANSI graphics! :mug: what was that program that let you animate...ANSI codes, ah the air lock!
Grey and white are colors. The one I used had squares that represents where it was optimized or not. And they would organize as it went.

It's official. Your older 😁

and yet i still feel like the kid on here! other people will talk about KayPro! and yes i was mildly enthusiastic, i opened the door to hear the bubbling, and my lager has picked up the tempo since i raised the temp to 55f! so you're not alone, i still get a kick out of the air lock, like a girlfriend playing foreplay with me!

Thats a blast from the past. But I had the mac version. It took like an hour and a half to defrag like a 170mb hard drive. MB. Thats not a typo
Wow you had a fast computer. My first hard drive was like 40MB and I swear it took half a day to defrag

would it make for a good joke some how to bring up memories, and qemm? since we're talking about bubbling air locks?

Brewing my first real high gravity beer and woke up this morning to find it bubbled over and airlock filled with...whatever....
I almost asked my son to setup my security cam in the little nook I have the fermenting bucket so I can watch while at work. Instead, he's just sending me pics and vids via MMS. Am I a nerd yet?

Back