Watching and smelling my first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWright_VT

Reaction score
I know you experienced Brewers chuckle at us noobs after Christmas, I hope I a few years I will as well. I thought I'd post some of my observations after doing a lot of reading different posts on here over the last several years, a little worrying, and getting through my first AG brew, after one extract batch.

I opened the primary yesterday on my Blonde Ale after airlock activity stopped, to take a gravity reading. Planning to do a dry hop and add orange in a few days. The smell was almost horrible. My extract batch was a pale ale, and smelled just like a Sierra Nevada every time I smelled it and tasted it. This one smelled sour and like dirty dishwater. The top looked pretty bad, but I thought it was probably just krausen. But it smelled like sour beer. I tested, OG was about 5 points under calculated. I tasted, and it tasted about right.

Tonight's look:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422148570.897604.jpg

Tonight, I went back to take another hydrometer reading, and the smell was different. Only a slight sour smell this time, but still that nasty smell. SWMBO also gave the sniff test and said the same thing, without any prior comments by me. Taste is still good, maybe even a little more mellow tonight. After looking at lots of infection pictures, I feel more confident, although more nervous and anal about sanitation.

I post just so others who might experience the same scary stuff as me might RDW until they can have a homebrew. I have 2 cases just bottled last night that I'll be waiting for. The bottom line is let the beer have its time. It looks and smells awful at times, but everything is doing its work to make something really wonderful.

Thanks for letting me share my experience, hope it helps someone.

Cheers!

Back