Washed yeast and flocculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hudsonj6

Reaction score
So I just finished bottling a hoppy mild ale (3.2% abv), and it was quite cloudly even though its been sitting for 6 weeks. Here's a bit of background on the what my procedure was. This was my first partial mash and I did a variation on death brewers stove top method. I mashed in a small cooler I found laying around (with the grains in a grain bag) which worked really well for keeping the temperature consistant and then I batch sparged in the cooler as well. My og came out 0.003 lower than I had hoped for but I attributed that to only using 1 qt/lb to mash and sparge.

I pitched some washed S-04 that had been in the fridge for about a month, and made a starter a day and half before hand. So at about 4 weeks I noticed it was SUUUUPER cloudy and racked it onto some gelatin which definately helped clear out some of the yeast but it still remained quite cloudy.

Anyways I decided to bottle today (tasted pretty good) and I'm hoping it will clear up a bit more after some time in the bottles but I'm just curious as to what may have caused it to remain cloudy for so long? My first guess would be from the poor flocculation due to the washed yeast but possibly its something else (maybe from my PM methods)?

Thanks for any input.

Unless you have been washing yeast out of the secondary for 10+ generations, I would not suspect that using previously washed yeast has any affect on this. I would search for "chill haze" and do some reading.

Back